Check Emissions - Decat

Hey.

Just had a new PCV Valve fitted and spark plugs replaced.

I have a KTR induction kit, toyo manifold and scorpion decat exhaust system fitted.

Driving home from garage, check emissions light pops on. I don't have an ODB reader and car drives just fine if not better than before.

What's the most likely cause? If it's decat then surely my emissions aren't right lol

Hey.

Just had a new PCV Valve fitted and spark plugs replaced.

I have a KTR induction kit, toyo manifold and scorpion decat exhaust system fitted.

Driving home from garage, check emissions light pops on. I don't have an ODB reader and car drives just fine if not better than before.

What's the most likely cause? If it's decat then surely my emissions aren't right lol
Just checked connectors, everything seems okay, any ideas?

Ordered an ODB device.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

did you say you had a manifold and exhaust replaced??may be your lambda sensor..
thre will be different reading for your ECU i would have thought..

did you say you had a manifold and exhaust replaced??may be your lambda sensor..
Nup, they were changed a long time ago, bought the car with them fitted, so it already had a toyo manifold, KTR induction kit and a decat scorpion exhaust and the check emissions light wasn't on and hasn't been on since I bought it.

Then light only came on after giving it the beans following a sparkplug and PCV change.

Where's the lamba sensor PAV?

Cheers

on your 1st cat i think,maybe second not 100% sure...maybe loose or give out faulty readings..

Sooo. Pulled of a few a different codes.

First one is pending and seems related to the engine management light.

The others were under 'show logged faults' but I'm not sure whether they are current faults or previous ones...as the EML wasn't on prior to today.

57920deada33d6785e9f49b7835abb1f.jpg61baaab11b9612db2fe2424934284a71.jpg

Sooo. Pulled of a few a different codes.

First one is pending and seems related to the engine management light.

The others were under 'show logged faults' but I'm not sure whether they are current faults or previous ones...as the EML wasn't on prior to today.

View attachment 116782View attachment 116783

So I've cleared the codes and going to see if they reoccur.

I can't see or feel any noticeable signs of a misfire, cars performance seems fine, no noticeable judders or anything.

The car has always had a whiff of petrol at the rear from the exhausts, but I put this down to it having a toyo manifold and decat scorpion exhaust.

Is that normal or signs of something else going on like a misfire?

Has the car been remapped to account for both cats being taken out? Also i'd get the car plugged into CLIP as it's so much more detailed, saving you both time and money.

Has the car been remapped to account for both cats being taken out? Also i'd get the car plugged into CLIP as it's so much more detailed, saving you both time and money.
Thanks for the reply. Car is on a standard map.

I was planning on getting RS Tuning to remap this week.

If both cats are out, will there still be sensors in the toyo manifold and scorpion exhaust?

Is CLIP a garage only thing or something you can buy and use at home?

Thanks for the reply. Car is on a standard map.

I was planning on getting RS Tuning to remap this week.

If both cats are out, will there still be sensors in the toyo manifold and scorpion exhaust?

Is CLIP a garage only thing or something you can buy and use at home?

Yes mate, both lambda sensors will still be present however the fuelling will be off, hence the reason why the check emissions light will be on. IIRC it's the first cat that does the most work so it's always best to get the car remapped if it's been removed. Getting it remapped should sort out the issue. CLIP can be purchased online I believe, and there are a few members on here that have it.

Yes mate, both lambda sensors will still be present however the fuelling will be off, hence the reason why the check emissions light will be on. IIRC it's the first cat that does the most work so it's always best to get the car remapped if it's been removed. Getting it remapped should sort out the issue. CLIP can be purchased online I believe, and there are a few members on here that have it.
Cheers mate :smile:

The light was off for the first few weeks, it was only after giving it the beans and a spark plug change that it came on.

Why do you think? Should the light not be in all the time?

I was a wee bit worried about the other codes that were logged. I've cleared them for now and none have come back.

Do you think the smell of petrol from the exhausts is related to the sensors?

Never had a totally decatted car so not sure what's normal and what isn't.

Cheers mate :smile:

The light was off for the first few weeks, it was only after giving it the beans and a spark plug change that it came on.

Why do you think? Should the light not be in all the time?

I was a wee bit worried about the other codes that were logged. I've cleared them for now and none have come back.

Do you think the smell of petrol from the exhausts is related to the sensors?

Never had a totally decatted car so not sure what's normal and what isn't.

No worries :smile: It was probably giving it the beans that triggered it as I assume it would change the fuelling in order to deliver the most power. I don't think the light should be on all the time as when you're driving about normally the fuelling may not matter as much. I had a problem with an ABS ring on one of my rear discs and the light would only come back on again if I went over 20 mph, so unless it's a serious fault, the light won't always be on.

In regards to the other codes, I wouldn't be too worried as they could be from months ago. Just keep a regular eye on the car and check from time to time if they reappear. The smell of petrol is definitely normal if my car is anything to go by! I imagine that too should be noticeably reduced with a remap but perhaps someone who has a double decat can confirm that for sure.

No worries :smile: It was probably giving it the beans that triggered it as I assume it would change the fuelling in order to deliver the most power. I don't think the light should be on all the time as when you're driving about normally the fuelling may not matter as much. I had a problem with an ABS ring on one of my rear discs and the light would only come back on again if I went over 20 mph, so unless it's a serious fault, the light won't always be on.

In regards to the other codes, I wouldn't be too worried as they could be from months ago. Just keep a regular eye on the car and check from time to time if they reappear. The smell of petrol is definitely normal if my car is anything to go by! I imagine that too should be noticeably reduced with a remap but perhaps someone who has a double decat can confirm that for sure.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if logged faults meant current faults or just previously logged faults that hasn't been cleared on the ODB.

Would a misfire trigger the EML?

Would no good to hear from others who are running decat whether the petrol smell at the back, from the exhausts is normal.

If I want the emissions to pass an MOT is just putting the exhaust cat back on enough do you think?

Yeah, I wasn't sure if logged faults meant current faults or just previously logged faults that hasn't been cleared on the ODB.

Would a misfire trigger the EML?

Would no good to hear from others who are running decat whether the petrol smell at the back, from the exhausts is normal.

If I want the emissions to pass an MOT is just putting the exhaust cat back on enough do you think?

I'm not sure about the misfire triggering the EML if i'm honest. If you want to pass emissions, all you would need to do is put the second cat back in place (the one after the manifold). It doesn't have to be a proper cat, even a sports cat would do.

Reactions: Tony T
I'm not sure about the misfire triggering the EML if i'm honest. If you want to pass emissions, all you would need to do is put the second cat back in place (the one after the manifold). It doesn't have to be a proper cat, even a sports cat would do.

Thanks again .. I was just trying to decide whether to go ahead with the map and I've got other work needing done (timing belts, clutch bleed and gearbox oil change) but I'm at my max budget so was panicking on whether to sell up or keep her lol.

Reactions: DS197