Cheap, sporty diesels

jimfacebinface

Paid Member
Hello everyone,

My Clio is going in lieu of a diesel for my girlfriend's new commute to work. Tried and tested this week and we don't fancy financing two and a half tanks per week...

We're after getting a relatively cheap oil burner but keeping things reasonably sporty or cool. I'll be using this opportunity to get rid of our 197 which seems to rather problematic and I'll be looking to get a 200 over the next couple of months, as I can't see me without one!

My list to look at for diesels so far is;

Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI or FR TDI,
VW Golf GT TDI
Alfa 147 JTD
Alfa GT JTD

So far we're swaying towards the GT, I think I'd fancy the Ibiza as you can get silly torque out of them but as she'll be driving it, it's her decision.

Does anyone have any thoughts to any other cars we could look at?

Cheers,

James

Thats a point ^ Had one as a courtesy car and it returned 90mpg on a run down to the coast at 70mpg, awesome engine although a little bit slow.

Question here is do you mean new or used?

If your thinking new it would probably be no cheap on the long run than keeping your old car.

I would forget a sporty one and buy sensible and put it towards the 200 tbh

Looked at the Fabia and the grey seats put us off lol. We're looking to spend 3-4K so 1 series etc is out. Being sporty is not absolutely necessary, it just would be nice. All we don't want is something bland, boring and very sales reppy. I don't want to become my dad just yet!

Have looked for Cooper SDs but they're out of our price range.

Cheers for the input people!

They aren't hugely sporty, but mk6 Fiesta Zetec S TDCi? They should be in your budget I would have thought.

A mate of mine has the ibiza Cupra which has some serious pull in a straight line, a terrible chassis that screams at every corner but for the missus should be alright, unless she's as much into smashing it as you are!

Cheers everyone! Yeah, Kev, I've seen Beefy's Leon and it's well smart, just the newer shape is out of our budget. I like the MK1 Leon but strangely, my girlfriend doesn't...

Good shout on the Fiesta, a friend of mine has the panel sided van version and he reckons it's quite quick for what it is! Well especially with nothing in the back I guess.

If you can find one, a 307 HDI with the 2.0 16v diesel lump. 136 bhp and map up fairly well too. We had an '05 plated 5 door. If you want 3 door loke for an XSI, they are the specced up ones.

Cheap as chips too!

If you can find one, a 307 HDI with the 2.0 16v diesel lump. 136 bhp and map up fairly well too. We had an '05 plated 5 door. If you want 3 door loke for an XSI, they are the specced up ones.

Cheap as chips too!

I was about to say avoid anything with that engine in, unless you get rid of the dpf crap.