Changing to clio from another brand

Hi chaps, I'm new to the site and infact so new I haven't got a clio yet! I've recently sold my impreza and befor that I had a golf R32, golf gti turbo, Leon Cupra R and so on. I've really got my sights on a clio 200 so my question is have any of you guys got the clio after for example Astra VXR and been happy and are still happy with it? My worry is even though I won't miss the plastic interior will I be disappointed with the performance etc? I've driven a clio 200 cup on a quick 5 min test drive and it surprised me how nimble and responsive it was but what are they like to live with? I'm going to be actively looking for one to buy in around 4 weeks when I've got some money coming so I'm trying to plan colour combo, wheels spec etc. cheers in advance for your replies ( if any)

I changed from a modified Focus ST to my current 200. Couldn't be happier. Use the car everyday as it's my only car, drove it to the Nurburgring (from Ireland) and it's never missed a beat really.

Very easy to live with, fairly good boot and rear seat space. Rides not too hard and they'll embarrass a lot of bigger cars in the bends. I absolutely love mine and have no plans to change it.

Straight line speed is not as good as most/some hot hatches but that can be changed :wink:

I had my Astra vxr stolen and with the insurance pay out ended up buying my 197.

There are pros and cons to the 197 as with any car, I do miss boost but the chuckability of the 197 in comparison to the vxr is unbelievable!
The 197 doesn't feel as quick as the vxr but thats because it effectively isnt. :worried:

All depends on what you like in your cars pal, by the looks of your list you do like turbo'd cars.

You will have to slightly modify your driving style but the Clio will still be guaranteed fun :smile:

In an ideal world i'd still have the vxr but I am more than happy with the replacement I have :smile:

Absolutely love mine, although you will probably miss the response of a boosted car, it's a lot different. Round the bends not a lot will keep up with you but as others have mentioned straight line speed is not as good.

Loved my 200 - cracking little car and such great fun to drive!

Amazing in the corners, just feel it lacked the straight line speed (but it makes up for that in the corners...)

I changed from the clio to the Meg as with the meg you have all the brilliant points of the clios plus a load more power.

Would i ever go back to a clio...yes, but only one that had a meg lump put in

Love my 200. Fast enough for me at the moment even in a straight line. You've got to keep the revs above 5k or you'll feel nothing at higher speeds. I drive like an idiot and it's kept me alive and well, perfect car. I've had three Mark 3 Clio's and the one I have now is a 200 so very used to it's chassis.

Will be meggy engine'ing it when I gather £3-5k.

Hi guys thanks for your quick replies, I suppose you've put me at ease regarding it's performance. My everyday ride is a transporter sportline van which is nice but this week I'm giving my charity rally Ford Puma a run out before it's put away in our unit over winter and that handles really good but it's only 125bhp. My last N/A car was back in 2001 and it was a 206 gti which again handled well but lacked power so I'm looking forward to the clio 200. Since it's my weekend car I'm going to spend what I sold my scooby for so budget is 7-8k but I'm waiting for a house to sell which is currently going through solicitors before I can go and spend some money coz the wife has spent my scooby cash, I'm a bit unsure about putting a Megane engine in but never say never. Anyway I'm sure I'll be back on here soon wanting info on performance upgrades lol

Clio's are horse **** in a straight line. They have bog all torque and are actually quite slow. You've got to rag the hell out of it to get any kind of power, but that's the downside from N/A and coming from that car list, you're definitely going to notice it.

As almost everyone will point out, round track and twistys is where the car is good. The chassis is great and that's where you can carry your speed.

It depends on what you want tbh. The best of both worlds would be to buy a Clio with a meg conversion, then you're looking at like a 280+bhp car with good torque power AND good in the bends.

Echoing the above really. You are used to boost as your car history shows and you are probably going to miss it. The Clio has no torque and is reasonably heavy. But if you are willing to trade that off for some different (but better IMO) kind of fun then go for it.
Fuel consumption is not great, you are looking at average 26mpg. Also your missus might start complaining about the ride being stiff. Maybe not stiff for us but def stiff for non enthusiast passengers.

People talk megane engines etc. For me the engine is the main part of the car's character. It is what it is and if people are bored with the initial package they won't be happy even after megging it. We've seen it in here in numerous occasions, the vast majority of meg'd cars went for sale soon after they were meg'd. Must be around 2-3 for sale now including Shaky's which is a brilliant car with lots of money spent.

My point is, go for a long test drive and if you like it go for it. My 2p