Central locking repeatedly activating

Just gone to start my car, which has been sitting around for a while and, firstly, it would not start. The ignition would just click, but the engine would not turn over. After a couple of attempts, I got various fault messages popping up, it seamed to cycle through everyone and then stayed on brake fault. It also warned me that the passenger air bag was deactivated. I presumed this was all down to a low battery from the car standing around, but finally it started to repeatedly activate the central locking, making a fast repetitive clicking noise from the boot and door locks, along with flashing the front and rear indicators repeatedly! The only way I could stop it was disconnect the battery. I was hoping that would stop it for good and I could jump start the car, but if I reconnect the battery it starts up again. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Battery currently on charge. We'll see if that fixes it. Had to carry the battery up four flights of stairs as no power supply outside!

Weird , I also had this repeated locking yesterday / today! Will get a multimeter on the battery and see what's what.

Just gone to start my car, which has been sitting around for a while and, firstly, it would not start. The ignition would just click, but the engine would not turn over. After a couple of attempts, I got various fault messages popping up, it seamed to cycle through everyone and then stayed on brake fault. It also warned me that the passenger air bag was deactivated. I presumed this was all down to a low battery from the car standing around, but finally it started to repeatedly activate the central locking, making a fast repetitive clicking noise from the boot and door locks, along with flashing the front and rear indicators repeatedly! The only way I could stop it was disconnect the battery. I was hoping that would stop it for good and I could jump start the car, but if I reconnect the battery it starts up again. Any ideas?

Thanks.

My car did this also just before Xmas m8 and the alternator had packed it in and in turn done the battery in! I got the alternator recondition in work then bought a bosh battery from Halford on a deal for £52 and it is all sorted now. A knackered battery will drop all the modules off one by one!

My car did this also just before Xmas m8 and the alternator had packed it in and in turn done the battery in! I got the alternator recondition in work then bought a bosh battery from Halford on a deal for £52 and it is all sorted now. A knackered battery will drop all the modules off one by one!

It was the battery mate. All sorted now, and seems to be running fine.

Got the multimeter on my battery this morning - 12.2v (seems low) , got to work and it was reading 12.7v

Edit : was 12.2v when I got back to it , 14.9v when running so seems all good.

Last edited: