Car won’t start, steering not locked error on dash

vanEgmond

Paid Member
Recently popped out in my 197 and all was fine but when I went to get back in it and head home the car wouldn’t start and I get a steering not locked error on the dash. I have changed the battery as suggested by many on here but that’s done nothing. When I hit the start button everything on the dash lights up but nothing happens. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

OK what your describing to me seems like the heat shield is touching the live terminal of the starter motor and blown the starter fuse do you get the message and the starter motor does nothing?

OK what your describing to me seems like the heat shield is touching the live terminal of the starter motor and blown the starter fuse do you get the message and the starter motor does nothing?
Yea I get the message and the starter does nothing, one loud click but doesn’t even try and turn over.

Have you tried to put power directly through the terminals of the starter motor to see if it works? I had a starter motor die without any warning and tried to resolve the issue by checking fuses etc., etc. but the starter motor was one of the last things I tried.

I’ve got this exact problem. Same message on dash. Bump Starts ok and then runs fine. Which is the fuse to check?

Mine sort of makes a few clicking noises sometimes but never fires

I’ve got this exact problem. Same message on dash. Bump Starts ok and then runs fine. Which is the fuse to check?

Mine sort of makes a few clicking noises sometimes but never fires
Turns out my starter was completely dead, new starter in and is perfect now. Worth checking the fuses though, in the fuse box in the engine bay it’ll be the 25 amp fuse for the starter.

What sort of price am i looking at for a new starter and is it a DIY job? Which fuse do i need to check?

Depends on what exhaust manifold you have, and how handy you are with the spanners. The starter motor sits at the back of the engine underneath the exhaust manifold, behind a heat shield. I have the Pure Motorsport manifold which gives enough room to get the starter out from above. I think with some other manifolds you might have to get it out from below, which is a bit tricky, probably doable though. It's an airbox and battery out job, which gives you the access you need from the top, then a lot of faffing around from underneath.

It's not a particular technical job, it just boils down to three bolts and two electrical connectors, but it's a pain in the arse if you're trying to do it from under the car if you don't have ramps.

I did mine, it took me a few hours of figuring it out and a lot of swearing but I got there in the end:

i'll check the 20 amp fuse and give the battery a good charge from the mains.

The battery has been relocated so there should be some space in there if i remove the airbox

I found it a massive PITA doing it for the first time with a standard manifold. As above not super difficult just very limited space and awkward imo, especially getting the heat shield back on.

Which is the fuse I need to check?

Think it’s 302 bottom right corner under the plastic flap. Anyway looks fine so guessing it’s the actual starter motor

Last edited:
I think the starter motor is fed off one of the big fuses off the red connector that comes off the positive battery terminal

I think the fuses have been relocated because the battery was moved , I’ll have to have a root around

I think the fuses have been relocated because the battery was moved , I’ll have to have a root around
Rob had one of my battery kits.

It'll be in a little black box with a load of cables going into it, likely under the airbox - i very much doubt it is one of those, but if it is, it'll be because the starter cables have shorted out on the heat shield

Starters are really common amongst the track folk

Reactions: EthanMenace