Car Storage/Cliositter

Benno

Malmesbury 'Chode of the Year' 2019
Paid Member
So I've been shortlisted for a job away in Europe for the best part of 6 months over the winter. The only thing I'm worried about is my pride and joy and what to do with her whilst I'm gone...

Is there anyone out there with maybe some spare undercover space that could look after her...maybe fire her up once or twice a week and stretch the old legs every so often whilst I'm away (if I do get the job..)? I'd pay any overheads obviously...

Failing that it's finding a secure place for storage...don't want to sell up at all. Not sure if I've got the job by any means but it's something to start thinking about while I'm looking at what's on the table..

Needs to be inside and well ventilated. Don't even think about a car cover over it outside. I've seen interior mildew, rot and rust start: and paintwork damage all occur from a cover being used.

And yes a start up and run out once a month would be ideal I agree !

Trying to think what I'd do in same situation....struggle is the answer I think. Well - reasonably cheaply anyway.

Good luck on the job :smile:

Reactions: Benno
Cheers mate, applied for it and had an email asking me to go up for an interview within 12 hours...must have done something right..!

Want it looked after, no headaches or big bills to worry about whilst away..could be too much to ask but surely worth a try! Must be someone on here with a big garage and space in the corner :wink:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Ventilation is key!!! I had a car on the drive for a month and it had mildew everywhere inside, luckily it was going to get scrapped anyway.

Indoors, on axle stands, change oil/filter, brim with fuel and add stabiliser, battery on trickle and do NOT start! When I store my bike over the winter this is what I do.

Good news on the potential job offer.

Yeh would like to help however i dont have any indoor space having a single garage.

Something you have to consider is insurance etc, what if I had the car at my house and it was broken into/stolen or I was driving it and there was an accident how would you feel etc!?

Perhaps it would be a good time to sell her than next year when you return start looking for a 200 or maybe dare I say a completely different car?, sadly life changes & you sometimes have to roll with it - I have let some cracking cars go by over the years due to life changes, could be a good thing I know your only 20 and its difficult to see it sometimes.

Maybe a stealth Raider may be available on your return, whats to say you don't get offered a further contract while your there or even a full time job out there?...or you meet a special little lady and you never return...sh1t happens mate!

PS would love to baby sit your Clio though - would have to provide me with 50 litres of oil though to ..:french:

Plus another thing could you really trust a random person (even though we are now your extended family) to sit your car, not track it, rag the nuts off of it etc...

Just thinking I remember my boss telling me about a local storage place think this is it http://www.rudler.co.uk/

Just to clarify if I had it I would be detailing it not ragging it!

Haha I gathered that!! Part of the reason that I don't want to sell is that I don't want to lose my NCB for this year! Tight I know but every little helps...

Which of course would mean it would stay insured, so whoever had it I'd get put onto the policy as part of the deal! Can't hand someone a car and not let them drive it, that would be sacrilege! I'd be out there until April and even if I did get offered an extended contract, I'd be back first and sort out everything this end, living arrangements etc.!

Plus, being out there means I could save a shed load more money.......going up next week to meet them, it may not be good for me at all but there's no harm in having a chat and looking into it.

P.S. I'm sure I could provide you with a regular supply of Elf!!

Haha I gathered that!! Part of the reason that I don't want to sell is that I don't want to lose my NCB for this year! Tight I know but every little helps...

Which of course would mean it would stay insured, so whoever had it I'd get put onto the policy as part of the deal! Can't hand someone a car and not let them drive it, that would be sacrilege! I'd be out there until April and even if I did get offered an extended contract, I'd be back first and sort out everything this end, living arrangements etc.!

Plus, being out there means I could save a shed load more money.......going up next week to meet them, it may not be good for me at all but there's no harm in having a chat and looking into it.

P.S. I'm sure I could provide you with a regular supply of Elf!!

If its what you want follow it up why wouldnt you!? as you said if the pays good and you can save maybe keep it as you said build ncb, when (if) you return start your upgrades or even look for that elusive raider.....would love a raider, but then I think the matt finish may end me to keep it detailed.

If its what you want follow it up why wouldnt you!? as you said if the pays good and you can save maybe keep it as you said build ncb, when (if) you return start your upgrades or even look for that elusive raider.....would love a raider, but then I think the matt finish may end me to keep it detailed.

And it would be nice and detailed ready for me to come back to..[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk