Can't select 5th or 6th

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
So after not having my car for 14 weeks I was doing a little spirited driving, nothing went wrong no crunching or grinding or anything, didn't mis select a gear etc but I realised after a while that I couldn't select 5th or 6th, it just puts it into 3rd and 4th.

When I move the gearknob to the right it sticks and doesn't go back to the middle.

I can select 1-4 and reverse no problems, so linkage must be OK?

Saw a post on here with same problem I've got and they said the gear selector grommit popped out? Where's this/how do I check? Did a bit of research online and couldn't find anything.

Please help!

I'm really not familiar with where components of a car are, where is the gearbox exactly/where is the linkage? How would I get to it to check etc

Get someone to wiggle your knob and you should see under bonnet. Alot of linkages use metal pivots with plastic bushes and they can wear and pop out. happened on my six speed trafic.. but as said not sure on these boxes

Reactions: Dystant
All sorted!!! One of the cable linkages popped out from on top of the gearbox as you said! Just gave it a proper push back in seems to be sitting alright now.

You can't imagine the stress I've just been through, after waiting 14 weeks to pick my car up and within 30 minutes of getting it back this happens! I was going mad thinking they'd damaged my gearbox or something.

Crisis averted and blood pressure is back to normal!

Thanks a lot for the help @Siliconsteve , you have no idea how much I appreciate it :smiley:

All sorted!!! One of the cable linkages popped out from on top of the gearbox as you said! Just gave it a proper push back in seems to be sitting alright now.
No worries mate. I no what it's like, every time I go out in mine I shit myself incase it goes wrong.lol. just be aware those joints usually pop off when plastic is worn. so you may end up replacing it
You can't imagine the stress I've just been through, after waiting 14 weeks to pick my car up and within 30 minutes of getting it back this happens! I was going mad thinking they'd damaged my gearbox or something.

Crisis averted and blood pressure is back to normal!

Thanks a lot for the help @Siliconsteve , you have no idea how much I appreciate it :smiley:

Thank goodness it was a quick and simple fix buddy.

How is the car anyway. All good ?

Car is amazing! So glad to get it back after so long. & The garage sorted out a multitude of issues and the car feels so much smoother now, and pulls a lot better in lower revs too.

In total they spent about £2100 getting it all sorted. I'll be updating my progress thread with what exactly happened so if you're interested keep an eye out :smile:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Not sure what happened to my reply lol. just be aware plastic female part of joint may be worn

Yeah I think I'll be ordering a replacement, for time being may just try and cable tie it in place make sure it doesn't pop back out.

Good to hear you've got it all sorted - definitely not something you want to be faced with after being without it for so long!

Car is amazing! So glad to get it back after so long. & The garage sorted out a multitude of issues and the car feels so much smoother now, and pulls a lot better in lower revs too.

In total they spent about £2100 getting it all sorted. I'll be updating my progress thread with what exactly happened so if you're interested keep an eye out :smile:

Look forward to the update buddy and glad to hear its even better !

Thanks for the PM on the other thing. (Keep me in touch :smile: )