Calling all Cyclists - Roof mounted bike rack?

Calling all Cyclists.
Does anyone have a bike they carry on the Clio 197 or 200... if so how do you transport it; roof rack or tail gate carrier?

I need to stop putting mine in the boot (with the seats down as its scratched the back of my Recaro's). :ban:

I'd prefer to get a roof mounted one but wondered how easy is it to attached / remove? I think Renault do one in the accessory range and there's always Thule.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Oh yes !!!!!!!

Im a cyclist aswell. Mountain and lycra power lol

I have supplyed roof bars and cycle carriers before for a clio 200

Call me on 01483 301009 be easyer to talk on the phone as there not as simple as they should be lol.

Karl
www.smcrenault.co.uk

I have used my 197 with the bike on the roof.

I have the standard renault roof bars and I used the Thule Outride 561 until I sold them. Its a bit of a pain getting the renault bars on and off as they are a bit over complicated I think. Compared to my old Fiat anyway.

I would always use a thule rack tho, whether the 561 where you take the front wheel off and the bike attaches by your front wheel system. QR or 20mm, there wasnt a 15mm attachemnt last time I checked. Or use the 591 I think it is where it has an arm that grips the downtube and leaves the wheels on, but if you have a fancy full sus frame that may not work either!

Chris

They do look pretty strong pieces of kit. Stopped using the roof as I couldnt find any of the plastic parts to fill the gap in the aero bar when they werent on, had to cut down the ones it came with to fit round the bike rack and cant find a full piece anywhere. I want to leave the bars on but take the rack off etc. So i use the boot now!

The ones on our car fit no problem and then when removed just close the flap back up on the roof. Was yours corrct for your vechile ?

Im not sure which part we are on about now!

The Thule 561 hangs too far over the back of the car and you cant open the boot properly so I had to take them off when there was no need to transport a bike. I cut the plastic aero bar insert so it would plug the hole in the bars when the bike rack was on, but when they were off it didnt plug all the aero groove which I wasnt keen on so I took the roof bars off too. Then I got lazy about taking the bars on and off as I couldnt find a full length insert and sold the 561 as they didnt fit properly anyway, I was always scared of scratching the back window or putting it through!

Hope that makes more sense!

Ah i dont have that issue i have 591 and there spot on. I fought you ment where you bolt the rack on the roof where you lift the tab

I will probably look into getting some 591 in the not too distant future, Im just trying to find one that will carry not oly my XC hardtail but the 8 inch travel downhill bike too!

I just use a bike bag and put the lot in the back of the car. Had roof racks on 2 previous cars but the marked the roof slightly, bugger your fuel economy, bugged me with the wind noise and the bikes can easily be stolen if the car is left unattended as has happened at Glentress recently.

But each to their own etc.

...have you thought about a bike bag....good alterative....I prefer to carry everything inside the car myself.....

The 591s lock the bikes to the carrier and the carrier locks to the bars and the bars bolt on on the inside of the front doors i cant see them being nicked and mine havent been yet

I had 591's and if someone wants to take your bike off the rack then those locks wont stop them. Just be careful when you park up. Im paranoid as to replace my mtb would be £3000 and my road bike £4000. Thats why they live in a bag in my car when I'm transporting them nowadays.

I had 591's and if someone wants to take your bike off the rack then those locks wont stop them. Just be careful when you park up. Im paranoid as to replace my mtb would be £3000 and my road bike £4000. Thats why they live in a bag in my car when I'm transporting them nowadays.

very ture that why I put my bike in the car to keep safe.