Buying a Clio 197

Hi everyone. Was hoping some of you may be able to help me out. Im interested in upgrading to a clio 197 but wondered if there was anything i ought to be aware of while viewing them. Are there and faults etc i should look out for? So far searching the internet i have found a few notes about kangarooing when the engine is cold? Thanks in advance. :smile:

The kangarooing is easy fixable with a softwareupdate.

Only thing I can think of is the seat wearing problem of the Recaro's...! But there is a topic on here somewhere about people's problem's with their Clio 197's!

treat it like any other car purchase - give it a very good check over and be picky !!

brakes should be very good
climate control can be a problem - so if it has it make sure it works well
seat wear is an issue
no spare so make sure the cans of mouse are in the boot
cups dont even have a jack
makes sure theres 2 key cards
make sure theres a locking adaptor for the wheel bolts

As above^ + check body panel alignment, tyre tread £120 a corner for Conti's if there almost done!

What sort of spec you looking for? You clued up on what available? Cup suspension, Recaro's etc?

good advice from Foxy as usual
also don't look at any other colour than liqiud yellow as the rest are just a poor second.

Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to do some research but always found the most reliable info from people who own the car. Have a Fiesta ST atm, just after something a bit quicker. Have read up on the differences between the f1 & cup etc, but will probably be something standard. Have a budget of about £10,000, what do you guys think il be able to get realistically, i live in the west mids where they all seem to be more expensive than anywhere else.

Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to do some research but always found the most reliable info from people who own the car. Have a Fiesta ST atm, just after something a bit quicker. Have read up on the differences between the f1 & cup etc, but will probably be something standard. Have a budget of about £10,000, what do you guys think il be able to get realistically, i live in the west mids where they all seem to be more expensive than anywhere else.

You'll get a good early one for £10,000. I'm from Worcester, West Mids and i bought my 197 from DS Cars in Lichfield. Mine has the Xenons, cornering lights, Climate Control and Cabasse audio and i paid around the £10,000 mark for my 07 plate with 6000 miles :thumbup:

Don't rush into buying one, be picky!!

Hi Emz. Yeah iv'e been keeping an eye on ds cars, did you have a good experience buying from them? Don't see many 197's around, the only one iv'e seen in the last month was a red one in a kidderminster carpark a few weeks ago.

I'd get the ST tinkered with as, unlike the Clio, there's untold tuning parts available for it. I've seen some pushing out well over 200bhp without a turbo. Pumabuild do a 2.3 conversion that can be used as a base for a quick little car.

I'd get the ST tinkered with as, unlike the Clio, there's untold tuning parts available for it. I've seen some pushing out well over 200bhp without a turbo. Pumabuild do a 2.3 conversion that can be used as a base for a quick little car.

and the rest mate, lol

check out this months issue of fastford with Mike,s ST S/C i think he his pushing out 380 bhp out of his,

there are some serious ST,s out their that will shock most scooby drivers, lol :drool:
i only managed 180 bhp out of mine tho, :angry:

Hi Emz. Yeah iv'e been keeping an eye on ds cars, did you have a good experience buying from them?

When I was after a 197 I was completely blanked by DS cars despite them being up the road from me. In the end I caught a train to Newcastle and picked up an absolutely mint 197 57 plate with 11,000 on the clock for £10,500. I was offered £11,250 in part ex against a 200 six weeks later. Shop around and be prepared to travel.

and the rest mate, lol

check out this months issue of fastford with Mike,s ST S/C i think he his pushing out 380 bhp out of his,

there are some serious ST,s out their that will shock most scooby drivers, lol :drool:
i only managed 180 bhp out of mine tho, :angry:

Did you have a red st chappo? with oz super turismo's in white? i had an st and was a member of stoc and there was a chappo on there.

Did you have a red st chappo? with oz super turismo's in white? i had an st and was a member of stoc and there was a chappo on there.

the rally slag one yes that was me mate im affraid lol, :001_rolleyes:

did you have the same user name as well, ?

Yeah i have read up on some of the pumabuild and mountune upgrades, but im not really into modding. Sounds like some serious power though, fair play to you mate. Haven't had chance to test drive one yet, but whats the ride like compared to the fiesta ST?

Yeah i have read up on some of the pumabuild and mountune upgrades, but im not really into modding. Sounds like some serious power though, fair play to you mate. Haven't had chance to test drive one yet, but whats the ride like compared to the fiesta ST?

I had my st lowered on gaz coilovers and my 197 cup handles so much better just on the standard cup suspension. I sold my st to my gf and everytime i drive it, it feels really heavy and sluggish compared to my cup.