Buying a clio 197. Is it worth it ?

Hi just thought I'd check this forum out as I'm in the process of looking to buy a clio 197 roughly 2006/2007 but wanted to get people honest opinion. I'v been looking around the web at reviews and forums and the overall response is that they drive great but there are a few annoying issuers I.e. Do not run great when they are cold (which is not something that bothers me as it seems once they get warm they are fine) the other thing that puts me of a little is that at motorway speeds they they rev around 4000rpm and a annoying drown this is a bit of a put off as I will need to travel 150 miles on the motorway quite a few times a year. Is the problem as bad as people say ?
Hope people can help
thanks

I find them great on the motorway, cruise control makes light work of it. Mpg on a long run about 33 I think last time I checked, though you can get more driving like a saint, I think the best I managed was about 38 iirc.
Tbh my Clio pretty much only does motorway work and it's not a problem at all (although the Supersprint I have fitted is perhaps a bit OTT!).

hi and welcome..to answer ur questions-yes it is worth it..:blowup:i got myself a 197 last summer(2006)..have been skinned since but the car makes up for it..there are issues but if u do ur homework on any other car u will find that a clio is not the only one with problems..it cost some money to keep it running of course but if u want it,ul get it anyway.to ur concern about the motorway driving-took a road trip last summer going through Belgium,Germany etc and have to say that i didnt notice any annoying drown..before u buy one,make sure that the gearbox is in a good shape or has been replaced..any more questions,u r more than welcome to ask..good luck
p.s. they are nice little motors

Same as TB Rich, mine is used daily to travel up and down the M4. With a standard exhaust it was almost silent cruising at 70-75 but since I've changed it's a little droney but it's the sound I wanted so I'm not complaining ^^.
Leave it to warm up for a few minutes before you leave if you want to avoid kangarooing, only usually happens to me if I'm in a rush and last for about 30 seconds of driving.
If I can find the topic on gearboxs I'll link it but as Mental said from what I remember it was first changed on f1 R27's and all thereafter had different gear ratio.
Amazing little car, just take your time finding one and make sure it's got a good history.

Welcome along mate. They are great cars and yes have there problems but all cars do. Mine had the old gearbox so yes did rev high on motorway but found on cruise control 69mph was a nice exhaust tone lol even if journeys were a bit annoying sometimes (trip through Belgium and Germany for the ring) I would always get out look back as I'm walking away and smile. Hands down the best car I've had! My leon does me proud and got me through Paris last week but boy did I want my clio for the trip :wink:

Great cars and immense fun. As for motorway miles I did nearly 40k in mine in the first year of ownership and most of that was motorways and A roads, I loved every minute of it.

its fine on motorways IMO, and is surprisingly comfortable too.

They are quite kangaroo-like on cold mornings but after a minute or too back to normal, ive had similar issues with all types of car.

Loved every minute of mine! Just make sure you get a good example, ie cambelt+waterpump change, full S/H, gearbox change...

I thought I would add my two penneth, being a new owner of a 197. I bought my R27 at the start of May after a lot of deliberating. The things that were putting me off were the oft-mentioned gearbox issues, mpg complaints and the fact that it's French (pointless stereotype).

However no matter how many cars I considered and looked at, I always came back to the Clio. A 197 was in my budget and I found a fantastic example of an F1 Team - excellent service history, cambelt done, spec I wanted etc.

Having owned it a month now, I have zero regrets - I love it to bits and I smile every time I think about it, let alone drive it. The economy is really not that bad, I am currently getting ~29mpg with a mix of town driving and the occasional toast. I can't comment on the motorway economy to be honest, but in my limited experience of using the cruise control, I don't think it would be too bad.

Just go into it with your eyes open re costs of repairs etc - no cars are faultless - and you will enjoy it so much.

Last edited:
I have an R27 F1 dare i say no issues at all, works when cold, gears are fine, on the motorway it fine to, i even had a silencer removed and did last week 5 hours from London to snowdon. at 70 mph im use to that being quiet even at 90 mph i didn't notice the drone was annoying think i was too busy smiling waiting for the a roads to begin.