Bumper removal - rusted bolts

GreySnowOgre

Paid Member
I think i know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

Trying to remove the bumper on my poorly maintained 197 (so i can replace oil pressure sensor which hopefully fixes the light on the dash ). Suffice to say that the 10mm bolts holding wing to bumper are utterly rusted to f***. No ramp or axle stands available, and there isn't a lot of room even with arch liners removed. What options have I got? I can't see how i could get a drill or even my Dremel in there to drill anything out are there any magic tricks?

I hate this getting my hands dirty stuff and I'm still reeling from paying a couple of hundred so my local garage could tow me in after crank shaft sensor failure last year. Was hoping replacing this sensor would be a doddle is just the bloody rust everywhere

Attachments

• 20220122_125702.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220122_125715.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220122_130517.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 15
Wire brush them, spray with penetrating fluid, undo them.
They’ll come undone.

If they don’t, you’re best off snapping them to drill/grind/cut out.

Last edited:
:laughing:I don't know what i don't know, that could totally have been a thing!

So to make sure I'm clear, you mean snapping the bolt (rather than bracket or bumper)? If so not even sure how I'd do that (accepting it's a last resort).

Reactions: RSRowe
Soak them in penetrating fluid first, I find Plus Gas is pretty good. Then hit them with a wire brush to get as much of the rust off as you can. I find it useful to hold the top of it still with a spanner wedged in place and then try and unto the bottom one. If not you might have to Dremel the bottom nut off.

You might want to consider replacing with some new hardware, get some stainless steel nuts bolts and washers and chuck all the old stuff away. I changed mine from traditional bolt heads to an Allen bolt setup, that way I just poke a small Allen key in the top one to hold it still and whizz the bottom one off with an electric ratchet. Makes life much easier.