Budget tyre's?

Hi, looks like i'm ready for a pair of new front boots on my 197, i've priced up continental sport contact 2's/3's at around £100 a corner but can anyone recomend me a good tried/tested budget alternative, cheers.

Hankook are supposed to be good for the budget alternative I have also heard this!

But I still bought contis lol!

Got some hankook evo v12's

Great reviews for the Clio and meggy sport.

I've had no problems in wet or dry and noticed no difference what so ever from the conti sports.

I don't race the car or drive stupidly fast round corners though....

Tbh I wouldnt rate the Hankook V12s that highly. I'd stick with the Contis (Got for the new 5s) and at £100 a corner they are worth the extra £15 each difference over the V12s.

tyres are the only thing that hold you to the road no matter how good of a chassis you have or how fantastic your suspension is. So it is a part of the car I would never skimp on. Stick with premium tyres :smile:

ive just had a full set of v12s and they are brillilant, realy hold the road well, alot better than the contis i had.

Your always gonna get peoples personal opinion on this, so don't be bullied in to something.

my 2p's worth... I had the conti's on and replaced them with Hankook V12's I've had them on a few track days and have to say I'm impressed with them. They handle well in the wet and dry which important (as a lot of 'budget' tyres a crap in the rain).

I wouldn't say they're a better tyre then the Conti's but when I looked I got them for £40 per corner cheaper. Would I say they were £40 worse?.... nope :smile:

I have to agree with Robo. Gone from contis to v12s. The only difference between them (other than price) is that the v12s need a bit more heat in them before they really do feel great in the dry and the v12s provide better traction under acceleration than the contis.

I wasn't going slow in my car on Monday round Wales (take a look at my vid) and the tyres were more than adequate.

Your always gonna get peoples personal opinion on this, so don't be bullied in to something.

my 2p's worth... I had the conti's on and replaced them with Hankook V12's I've had them on a few track days and have to say I'm impressed with them. They handle well in the wet and dry which important (as a lot of 'budget' tyres a crap in the rain).

I wouldn't say they're a better tyre then the Conti's but when I looked I got them for £40 per corner cheaper. Would I say they were £40 worse?.... nope :smile:

thats the way to look at these things - what you get for the money and what you get in return - well put :jase:

good summary robo.
Imo so long as you get 'good' budget tyres the diffrence is'nt too bad. Its when you just get the cheapest of the cheap like the ones on the front of my vxr atm.. handles like a boat!! :worried: disclaimer(tyres were on it when i bought it)

Personally I would never have Hankooks on any car - a lot of our company vans end up with these on and we nickname 'ditch finders' mind you I think the worse tyre I ever had fitted to the work vw caddy was Runway Enduro's - slid on every bend but last well 'surprisingly'

Thats why I would never skimp on tyres for my own cars however I have found Nexen's to be pretty good tyres all round if on a budget.

We had this discussion every other day when I was a member of the 106rallye forum, in the end I got a colleague of mine who was the top chassis engineer at Aston Martin at the time (then went on to be head of wheel design for Rimstock, essentially team dynamics) and is now a design engineer for the company that supply Ferrari wheels (www.apptech.it) to write this as a guide for people.

Bare in mind this was written probably 3 or 4 years ago but the advice is still relevant!

Tyre Choice advice

As mentioned in previous wheel & tyre report, the originally approved tyre will always be the most suitable selection. It's compound, construction & tread pattern will have been selected and tuned specifically to the chassis over ideally a 2 year development period. Provided the vehicle is kept in good codition, with regular geometry checks and the tyres are operated at the recommended tyre pressures (this is more important than most people would think), the car should drive, handle, steer and hold the road exactly as the manufacturer intended.

However, once a vehicle ends production, or if an original fit tyre is replaced, the OE tyre may no longer be supported by the manufacturer.
This problem should not arrise for anything up to 10 years after the vehicle has finished production, but commonly a tread pattern may have been selected which was near its end life (like any brand does) so needs to be replaced by the latest model.....And the latest model is not esentially always the better than the old model, as that would have been tuned specifically to the vehicle.

Either way, most customers who own cars more than a few years old will be faced with the problem of needing to buy tyres not orignally specified.
Therefore, the next best step is to make a tyre choice based on tyre manufacturer. The big manufacturers only really make money from the aftermarket. Of course they make money from being fitted to cars from day one, but winning that OE approval is the key because that offically specifies their tyre on the car for anything up to 10 years.

If a manufacturer knocks out 250,000 cars a year, thats 1 million tyres (not including spare). If that model lasts for 5 years, thats 5 million tyres whilst the vehicle is still in production, plus another 10 years of support which could be anything up to an extra 5 or 6 million tyres fitted in the aftermarket. The reason why this is key is that the aftermarket tyre will cost probaby 3 times as much as it did to the OE manufacturer to fit track-side.

So in summary, it is in a tyre manufacturers interest to ensure that they have approved tyres available in the aftermarket for you to fit that will perform well on your vehicle. These extra approvals can be requested by the manufacturer, and the OE will sign off and issue bulletins within the industry, informing the relevant tyre fitters (most of whom are obviously owned by the tyre manufacturers). What you'll generally end up with is Pirelli, Goodyear/Dunlop, Continental & Bridgestone will get the manufacturers approvals, and Michelin will just do there own sign off and tell you what you should fit ('cos they're arrogant French people; sorry Peugeot lovers!)

Tyre/Manufacturer Choice:
If you want to save money and you are not bothered about tyre performace, go for a budget brand. They are produced by the big manufacturers anyway (I think Uniroyal are Continental etc..) and will be safe. Ironically they probably make more money from these tyres as most people can't afford to spend hundreds of pound replacing tyres.

If you want to right off your car (and other people's if your on the motorway) buy a re-mold. No more comments needed, other than AVOID !!! Similar comment goes for part-worn tyres, but perhaps not quite so dramatic a response is needed. Still aviod them though. If you want to still be able to enjoy the drive and have a predictable, controlable chassis, but from one of the big manufcaturers, listed in order below:

Michelin:
Probably the best, and unfortunately they know it. They have military style security at their test & development centres. They are usually shocked when thye don't win business, but just assume it's your loss. Biggest issue will be the cost, as they will generally be the most expensive unless you get special offers on latest brands etc.. Current top brand is Pilot Sport 2. No asymetrical (finally learned that manufacturers don't really like directional only tyres due to assembly complexity) Very good high performance.

Continental:
Probably up there with Michelin. Excellent technical knowledge. High quality tyres, and not quite as expensive as Michelin. Would personally always check out Continental first before anyone else. Like the other manufacturers, they will always be able to have something specified and approved for the majority of mass produced vehicles (either by the OE manufacturer or just though extensive internal sign off) Have brands that cover all areas of market. Top Brand is ContiSportContact3 (i think it's out now). Very good high performance.

Bridgestone:
Probably one the main contenders too. Possibly the biggest and, since the Firestone US problem, they now have the most stringent sign off critera out of everyone. Recent multi-million pound technical centre built in Rome which is state of the art and allows them to recreate any road condition anywhere.
Seem to always be in there where high performance is concerned. Top brand is some version from there Potenza range (although there are about a million difference brands within Potenza, including the F1 tyre!) Can be a bit pricey, especially at the top end (I.E: the Honda NSX tyre was about 700 quid each, although that was a one off directional & assymetrical tyre)

Goodyear/Dunlop:
They are now the same company. Now manufacture out of same locations etc. Excellent technical centre in Luxembourg, similar to Bridgestone Rome. Good quality and have many approvals across the world on every manufacturer. They are certainly a safe choice in terms of tyre selection. Would probably go more for the GY Eagle F1 (GSD3) rather than the Dunlop SP9000 which is old and due to be replaced.Expect the costs to be pretty good considering the quality of tyre. Only issue is that alot of aftermarket tyres are manufactured in the Washington plant (Newcastle) andthe quality coming out of there was always questionable. The same tyre made in Germany would always be alot better, unfortunately.

Pirelli:
Good overall. Probably an inbetween Goodyear/Dunlop and Continental, rather than a real top player. Expect the costs to be a little high. Probably not the first choice, but wouldn't be dissappointed if I had to buy from them.

Other Brands......
Verdestein, Yokohama, Hankook, etc...
Would not consider these brands as you only get an in-between performance. You are better off saving money and going for budget brand, or spending more and buying from top manufacturer. Certan brands like Falken (which are essentially the budget brand of Dunlop) are ok, but really you have to look at who has OE approval. I think Kuhmo may have an approval on VW Lupo...., and Hankook are the approval spare tyre on Mondeo.... Say no more...
Yokohama is always a fun one. They do have one or two 'normal' OE tyres, which are approved on things like MR2 & Celica etc. These tyres are fine and if available for your vehicle, may be worth a shot (but only likely to be available if you have a Japanese car). The other sticky stuff they make, often 'OE' on Lotus (if you can call an attempted production line in Norfolk OE) are not really ideal for normal fast road use and will not deal with all conditions. They're place is really track day only. Dry track day only. Hot, dry track day only. No; hot, dry track day with good road surface only.

Obviously, tyre selection depends upon the vehcile (i.e high performance, wheel size etc..). Most manufacturers won't make a small tyre size using there high performance brand, as most higher performance vehicles are now fitted with larger 17"+ wheels. This is governed by style mainly, but also the desire and need to fit larger brakes etc..

Article Writen by James Smith

Personally I would never have Hankooks on any car - a lot of our company vans end up with these on and we nickname 'ditch finders' mind you I think the worse tyre I ever had fitted to the work vw caddy was Runway Enduro's - slid on every bend but last well 'surprisingly'

Thats why I would never skimp on tyres for my own cars however I have found Nexen's to be pretty good tyres all round if on a budget.

mmm you slag the hankooks but think the nexens are good.....curious :bounce:

may have something to do with the word "van"...