Bridgestone Re050 - Mismatched Tyres?

Hi guys,

I need two new front tyres on my 197, but my dilemma is whether to buy Bridgestone Potenza RE050 because that's what I currently have on the back? Or, do I buy something different? Not sure whether I could live with RE050s on the back and something different on the front. Maybe I'm just being a bit OCD about it!

Well generally speaking, if your going to mismatch, its best to do it front to back not side to side. So you could change them, depends if you like them.

Read up on the compounds of the tyres and how they behave when hot and cold. It's what I did and it helped me understand what to expect when driving the car hard. For example. I have extremely hard compound tyres on the rear and medium compounds on the front. The back fishtails at high speed a lot. I've not done it intentionally but it was just to save money and get rid of the old tyres on the back.

You can do it, just understand what it might do.

The RE050 is a pretty good tyre and can cope in pretty much all conditions, the RE050a is a better tyre but a slightly softer compound. What are you going to be running with them? As long as it's not something really budget you should be fine in everyday driving.

Well, I've got Bridgestone RE050 on the back, with Continentals on the front. The Continentals need replacing and it's a question of what to get? I reckon I'll go with the RE050 because I'll have the same four tyres all round then. The only thing that concerned me (slightly) was the RE050 are rated as a G (worst possible score) on fuel consumption.

always have matched tyres on my motors....just an ocd thing I suppose :eek:
I do on the car. Not so fussed on the van as long as the two fronts and two rears match. I'll never have different tyres across an axle

The RE050A's have been amazing on the front of mine, and are lasting very well considering they're meant to be softer. Still got the original continentals on the back with 22k on them and they still look like new haha!

The RE050A's have been amazing on the front of mine, and are lasting very well considering they're meant to be softer. Still got the original continentals on the back with 22k on them and they still look like new haha!

Agree with the the RE050A's are superb have a lot of life in them and have tons of grip for a road tyre, they come standard on the raider and the meg 265 that set the lap record for a FWD hatch on the nurburg, so they are proven tyres