Brakes Vibration High Speed

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen this on RS.co.uk,

only had my car a week so bare with me... I have noticed at high speeds in the car (77mph max:tongueout:) That If i apply the brakes I get some small vibration feeding back to me through the pedal! I don't really notice this at slower speeds, unless its more subtle? It doesn't last long sometimes its on the initial bite and sometimes lasts a wee bit longer, and then it goes. Wondered If you guys have noticed any thing like this or know what the problem is? Wasn't sure if this is a know problem?

Cheers Guys

If your car has been stood out for a long while before you picked it up the pads might have slightly seized on to the disc. When you started driving the brakes will have unstuck but it will have left some rubbish on the disc at that point. When you have been braking from high speed it is more noticeable as you tend to brake harder than around town. I have had this problem after leaving the car to stand for a week after cleaning it. It is easy enough to fix; build some speed up and heavily apply the brakes, without coming to a stop do the same again and again probably about 5 times in total. Then keep driving slowly to let the discs cool properly.

Should fix the problem.

If the solution above doesn't work.

Or you can see the discs have no debris on them, then I would suggest earless discs mate as I had a similar problem on my ST3.

Cheers for the replies, The car was garaged for a while as I bought it second hand with about 3.5k on the clock! So it was not used daily but it has been used a lot this week/weekend?! Ill try this tomorrow on some quiet back roads and see if this works.

Is it likely the discs could be warped already then? Really don't fancy new discs just yet...

It's unlikely anything is wrong with the disc.. warped disc normally refers to stuff pad material on the disc face which gives that 'grabby' sensation when you step on the brakes.

If you've cooked your pads by some heavy 'high-speed' > 0mph stops then this might be the problem. If it IS, you should see some matt spots on the disc face.. to fix this, take you wheels off and rub the disc down with some agressive sand paper. Jobs a good'en.

Other than that, assuming it's still under warranty... take it to Renault to diagnose and fix?

Rich

I Know the bloke who had the car before me took it on a track once in the rain? But said as the weather conditions were not great it wasn't 'thrashed'. He was a decent bloke, and had a lot of very nice cars including a lovely R35 GTR :smile: so I took his word for it. As he had the GTR the clio was really no longer a daily driver and was not a track toy as that was left to a lotus or catheram 7... So it was hanging around in a warm garage for while not moving. I have however just popped outside in the dark and cant see any 'matt' spots on the discs?

I guess ill give it a few days and failing that take it to a dealers?

1 trackday in the rain should cause the breaks to vibrate. Our 200 has done 5 or 6 trackdays (1 in a monsoon at Silverstone) and only after the last outting are they beginning to feel "well used" and in need of new pads.

You'll need to look with a torch or in daylight to see the matt patches..

Here's my old car with the issue, pretty bad! - just the slightest residue can cause the shake though.

2142ae89.gif

9d9a2441.gif

A good sanding down and the brakes were as good as new!

Just to explain how it felt: I could drive around town and not know there was a problem, hit the motorway then come down the slip-road I needed, lightly applied the brakes and there would be a slight wobble as heat got into the disc. The longer the I applied the brakes the more juddering I got through the steering wheel.

Rich

Last edited:
I did look with a torch and didnt see anything like this, but will check in the light, I have not felt it through the wheel yet just coming through the pedal, could be the abs kicking in but I'm sure I didn't notice it when I took a 200 demo out?

Ah, sorry.. a warped disc or deposits are felt through the steering wheel. The ABS will feel like something tapping you on the bottom of your foot when it activates.

Rich

If you try cleaning the discs and still get it, then measure run out using a dial gauge.

You do this by bolting the disc onto the hub using the oem bolts with washers. Use a dial gauge to meaure run out at the very edge of the disc.

Once you get a measure, if its bad then remove the disc form the hub, clean both surfaces using sand paper, and the re-attach and measure again. Once you get the measurement, remove the disc, turn it 1/4 turn and re-attach to the hub. Re-meausure again taking note of the measurements. Do this until your back where you started.

Fasten the disc on in the place where the least run out was measured. Then do for the other side.

This will reduce the chances of vibration, especially when the disc gets hot :smile:

I had the same trouble with mine, high speed vibration also with abs kicking in at some points, turned out to be the wheels needed balancing again,

If you try cleaning the discs and still get it, then measure run out using a dial gauge.

You do this by bolting the disc onto the hub using the oem bolts with washers. Use a dial gauge to meaure run out at the very edge of the disc.

Once you get a measure, if its bad then remove the disc form the hub, clean both surfaces using sand paper, and the re-attach and measure again. Once you get the measurement, remove the disc, turn it 1/4 turn and re-attach to the hub. Re-meausure again taking note of the measurements. Do this until your back where you started.

Fasten the disc on in the place where the least run out was measured. Then do for the other side.

This will reduce the chances of vibration, especially when the disc gets hot :smile:

good advice there...one small problem - the discs have only 2 retaining screw holes - and with them being 5 stud they only fit in one position iirc - unless you dont fit the screw back

I had the same trouble with mine, high speed vibration also with abs kicking in at some points, turned out to be the wheels needed balancing again,

This seems like the cheapest place to start finding out the problem.