Brakes overheating

Jack Maxwell

Paid Member
Was over at the Nurburgring a number of months back putting the car through its paces. One problem I had was that by the time I got too Adenua bridge, about one third round, the brakes developed very bad wobble through the steering wheel and bulkhead under braking.

I straight away though I had warped the discs, I just put new discs and pads on about 2 months prior. I put on the Reyland 330mm brakes and EBC yellow stuff pads.

After the brakes had cooled down though the wobble disappeared. I spoke to a guy who lives at the ring and has a 182, he put it down to the pads. Was just wondering before I go buying new pads or discs for track use if anybody has any other ideas. I'm guessing pad deposits being the issue?

Cheers

Yeah I just did some reading on a pistonheads forum. Looks like others have had the same issue. Set of DS2500 or something it is then.

Had both ds2500 and ds1.11. Used them both at the ring and never had a problem with them.

But DS1.11 is definitely in an other league, if you can live with the extra brake dust and occasional squeal I’d go definitely for the DS1.11

Reactions: Big Ben
You must be talking about uneven pad deposit on the rotors here Jack. I had the same issue with DS2500s on my first ever track day at Brands, if you are a late braker then DS2500s won't cut it either. People tend to like this compound, I honestly don't. In fact, I massively dislike them. They are worse than OEM and spongy when cold, better when hot but temp window is very narrow. They get cold rather quickly and subsequently lose performance which I found dangerous and on overheat they leave nasty deposits on the rotors. I changed them before they even came close to their lifetime.

Get 1.11s as people have suggested or CL RC6 or similar. You'd never go back. If your car is a daily you'd be better off running OEM pads and swap when on track. It's very easy to do anyway.

Hope that helps.

:good:

i like my ds 2500..never let me down and much better performance overall..they are dusty as hell though..

Reactions: Big Ben
You must be talking about uneven pad deposit on the rotors here Jack. I had the same issue with DS2500s on my first ever track day at Brands, if you are a late braker then DS2500s won't cut it either. People tend to like this compound, I honestly don't. In fact, I massively dislike them. They are worse than OEM and spongy when cold, better when hot but temp window is very narrow. They get cold rather quickly and subsequently lose performance which I found dangerous and on overheat they leave nasty deposits on the rotors. I changed them before they even came close to their lifetime.

Get 1.11s as people have suggested or CL RC6 or similar. You'd never go back. If your car is a daily you'd be better off running OEM pads and swap when on track. It's very easy to do anyway.

Hope that helps.
Couldn't agree more with this. Don't bother with DS2500, I killed two sets of them when they were reasonably new and the discs because of them. They overheat on track and crumble to bits and then in the process leave horrible deposits on the discs which don't come off. It's these deposits which give the "warped" feeling not an actual warp.

Reactions: Ruben203
Look at a Trackspec ducting kit, fits in place of the fog lamps and runs a duct to the brakes. I cant say I know anything about pads unfortunately but I can imagine cooler air to the pads and discs will be a big benefit.