Brakes failing me

Hi Guys,
ive had my Clio for 5 years now. Done about 55,000 miles with it all good so far up until a few months ago when I tried braking whilst doing about 125 miles and the the car wouldn't stop as it should.

The brakes initially started working and a second after the pedal went further down and it was like I had released it( something like the abs kicking in)and then it started started braking again. Since then it constantly does it at high speeds and just doesn't feel right. I've bled the brakes twice by myself as well as in Renault themselves but there seems to be more air in every time.

When the car is standing still with the engine on the brake pedal (once pressed makes a hissing noise).

Now I would like to point out that the discs are pretty new and so our the pads and brake fluids.

Might it be the brake pump?

Any suggestions on what it can be as I just cant figure out the problem.

Thanks a lot

Very odd make sure u have bled the fronts from the bottom nipple as well cause I did mine 3 times before I worked that out. From there I am going to say master cylinder maybe. Check every thing for seepage and failing that start replacing bits

if theres air in the system once the pedal is pumped a few times to clear the servo vacuum then the pedal should be soft and sink down...

make sure all the brakes are free and working as they should before throwing parts at it as it sounds like brake imbalance a bit and the abs/esp
trying to stop it swerving

if theres air in the system once the pedal is pumped a few times to clear the servo vacuum then the pedal should be soft and sink down...

make sure all the brakes are free and working as they should before throwing parts at it as it sounds like brake imbalance a bit and the abs/esp

Did not think of inbalance setting off the abs/eps very good point

It does sink down even after pumping the pedal a few times.

Will check for the imbalance and get the calipers all cleaned up before moving forward with any other actions.

Cheers for the advice

It does sink down even after pumping the pedal a few times.

Will check for the imbalance and get the calipers all cleaned up before moving forward with any other actions.

Cheers for the advice

do the rears as well

If your brakes have not been properly stripped there is a chance the pads are stuck in the calipers, which could cause your problems I think it is imperative that these brakes at this age should be properly striped and cleaned. Corrosion is starting to set in and the dealers don't seem to have enough time to clean them properly. If you are competent to do this yourself it is a free job, only thing you may need is some caliper pins

If your brakes have not been properly stripped there is a chance the pads are stuck in the calipers, which could cause your problems I think it is imperative that these brakes at this age should be properly striped and cleaned. Corrosion is starting to set in and the dealers don't seem to have enough time to clean them properly. If you are competent to do this yourself it is a free job, only thing you may need is some caliper pins

there is no planned maintenance for the brakes other than a visual check...so they can go 3yrs before even being touched (mot test)...bit of a joke
really given all the issues they have with road salt etc

Funny, my dad has recently purchased an Alfa Mito 155 and the front brakes are identical to my 200. From a little research and a visual check The only difference I can see is that the word Brembo is removed and replaced with Alfa Romeo. I wonder how much Alfa charge for caliper pins and pads?

Funny, my dad has recently purchased an Alfa Mito 155 and the front brakes are identical to my 200. From a little research and a visual check The only difference I can see is that the word Brembo is removed and replaced with Alfa Romeo. I wonder how much Alfa charge for caliper pins and pads?

also fitted to some lotus cars

just fitted braided lines and motul fluid today - just been for a proper test drive and the ABS kicks in much easier. you definitely dont have to press the pedal as hard so som brain recalibration is required!

My car has done 55k and I have just replaced all discs, pads, fluid and hoses, the front pins were a nightmare to remove as they were completely seized. I will be stripping and servicing the calipers every year from now on

From a quick Internet search around £60.

The brakes initially started working and a second after the pedal went further down and it was like I had released it( something like the abs kicking in)and then it started started braking again. Since then it constantly does it at high speeds and just doesn't feel right. I've bled the brakes twice by myself as well as in Renault themselves but there seems to be more air in every time.

Mine did exactly the same thing in Germany last year, stomping on them from the same sort of speed then everything was fine.

I put it down to a pad starting to stick but freeing itself with the force of stopping at 130

When I did check them out, it was ready for a good clean out, so I assumed it was this, they doo need a service regularly.

Just had this happen this morning at speed. Brakes are ok at low speed. Was there a resolution to this, as I did a thorough strip and clean a few months ago.

Brakes seem fine just a lack of retardation. Pedal etc ok

Only thoughts are it was cold and wet, perhaps ESP intervening?

Hmmm anything come of this, as I'm experiencing the same issue, braking from high speed. The bite is fine, then the pedal seems to kick back. Just doesn't feel right?

It has new pads and disks all round ds2500 in the front.

It's going for a full bleed in the next week or so. It's a bit unnerving tbh!

When the car is standing still with the engine on the brake pedal (once pressed makes a hissing noise).
Could be worth checking the brake servo non return valve (and the pipe) for leaks if you are hearing a hissing from the engine bay.