"brake fault"

Went to the cinema tonight with the better half. No spirited driving, no harse braking. After 5 mins the car beeped and flagged up brake fault. No light stayed on and they worked fine so I continued. The warning flagged up 3 times tonight...bit worried but they work fine!!

Any ideas?? She's only 3500 miles old and never cained!!

Thats a faulty wheel speed sensor mate. Happened to mine. Braking fault on display.

Could be a caliper seized on the rear wheel slowing it down n not the others

mine's done it a just few days ago, just a day after I arrived at my vacation spot... the abs is permanently off and the esp doesn't work, can't even check my consumption as the "braking fault" message is on and all of the lights are on :worried: brake fluid is fine, is it the abs sensor??? I remember a guy at the garage told me that the wire from one of the sensors was a little melted...

Try turning the steering wheel from full lock to the left to full lock to the right.

Well mine did this, then a 2000miles later i got it again, when the slave cylinder in the clutch went pop. Keep and eye on your fluids

thanks a lot, got about 300 miles to cover tomorrow so will check the engine oil level, cooling liquid and brake fluid are both fine, never noticed any leaks and I have been searching for some just lately to see if there is fi a brake fluid leak somewhere, but all is dry under the car even after a whole night stay, btw how much is the speed sensor if thats whats at fault, what kind of money should I be prepared to pay as I have a xenon bulb dying on me at pretty much the same time... so now I have to change both, as the one thats left working is 5 years old now and pretty much getting close in yellowness to an ordinary halogen lamp, how much will it cost me to keep this car running before a mk4 clio rs arrives remains an unsolved mystery, maybe its time to cut the losses and sell the senior mistress while its still worth more than a new 1.2 twingo :smile: sorry for getting OT, will update this when I get home and have her fixed,

Mine went into Renault 3 times over its first year for this same problem. They changed all sensors, abs pump, pick up rings etc and couldnt find the problem.

Eventually needed a new brake controller computer, it took a week for it to be delivered from france, major headache problem.

if its a wheel speed sensor the abs light will come on and the system will store a fault code which is accessed by an obd2 reader

there are other ways of checking them -

1. check the resistance of the sensor with an ohms meter at the connector end

2. spin the wheel and check for a pulsing voltage at the connector end

it also be other wiring not so easily checked so that would need looking at and of course if its the abs ecu...

Been to Renault. No fault codes have flagged up. Fluids are fine. Still doing it though.

Hi Mate :smile:

It could be your ABS sensor at the inner side of one of the discs is faulty.

I had a brake problem on my previous car (Corsa C SXI) Basically when I braked sometimes the brakes will be fine sometimes the ABS light will come on. When the ABS was working I could feel the system vibrating through the brake pedal, and sounding a bit like a spring pinging off. The cause of this was that a jubilee clip had snapped off one of the CV boots and was covering the teeth on one of the cogs on the drive shaft underneath where the ABS sensor sits. When it was covering the teeth the car thought the car wasn't slowing down hence why the ABS kicked in. Like I said sometimes It would be fine and brakes would still be biting ok.

I am getting the same problem with my 197 (36k on the clock) but it's only happening now and again just when I brake on a slope. The brakes themselves work fine. I am getting no warning light though. :001_unsure:

Considering your car is a virtually new brand new 200 everything should be fitted tightly. Hope you get it fixed matey :smiley:

It may be worth taking a look underneath the car just to make sure the braking sensors, calipers, pads are ok.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:
turns out its the wiring of the abs computer, dropping her in the garage tomorrow, maybe she'll be ready for tuesday, should know a little bit more when I pick her up,

picked the car up on monday evening, turns out it was a power failure of the abs computer, the wire was damaged somewhere on the way, the renault electrician fixed it and now everything is fine, hope it will stay that way for a longer while...