Bolternatives - Engine bolts

MRizzle

Gold Member
Sorry guys, there's been pretty much radio silence on my part recently due to a ridiculous workload the past fortnight and then a somewhat excessive celebration of the start of 6 weeks holiday. Seriously, at what age did the 2 day hangovers kick in?!?!

Anyway, a really small update for you; I received these today from Kevin at Bolternatives and just popped them in straight away. As ever, it's the little things that please me the most. So...a nice subtle mod (apologies...haven't got round to cleaning the engine bay since I got it) and I think they'll look great alongside the blue forge silicone hoses that I plan to buy.

65CA1498-3732-4A97-A871-3A2F3943090E_zps2reiaeib.jpg

D4AE5CF1-ACBE-4778-9CBF-C57DCF7CE522_zpsjkwe1wat.jpg

8375D1A0-FD81-40A6-82DD-B86BE5E49B49_zpsdez0v5os.jpg

Sweet Jesus, praise the Anodised Lord !

Link needed badly !!!

:rofl: I did the underside of the bonnet too but forgot to take pics of them. He also does them in red, black, purple, yellow/gold, neochrome and green. £12 for a set of 10 and the bolts. I'll try to hook up a link but search for "Bolternatives" on Facebook and join the group/page. I've used him in the past for ones for the VXR and Kevin is a top bloke. He's also advertising them currently on a clip sport page on FB so worth hitting that up probably and seeing what he still has available. Alternatively, add me on FB and I'll add you to the group - Matt Reid (my profile photo is of "Mattman").

:rofl: I did the underside of the bonnet too but forgot to take pics of them. He also does them in red, black, purple, yellow/gold, neochrome and green. £12 for a set of 10 and the bolts. I'll try to hook up a link but search for "Bolternatives" on Facebook and join the group/page. I've used him in the past for ones for the VXR and Kevin is a top bloke. He's also advertising them currently on a clip sport page on FB so worth hitting that up probably and seeing what he still has available. Alternatively, add me on FB and I'll add you to the group - Matt Reid (my profile photo is of "Mattman").

Superb thanks.

Friend request incoming.

Shuv, added and pending admin approval. Kevin will add you pretty swiftly though and I'll give him a prod. :smile:

Here's some more pics so you can see them a little better. Also got shamed into cleaning up the engine bay with a quick dicht.

38CC4D5D-8796-47FA-892C-B6B54AE01D7C_zpsenkcdcpa.jpg

21C77BB8-52BD-4BE2-9EEA-59E984DAB379_zpsiiyprt9c.jpg

7513CE28-56AC-49C3-A9A1-EEE5B7C0FA6D_zpssyo8nns8.jpg

C5871A77-CE91-4584-A007-F6F90F16F0AA_zpsdskla0ck.jpg

And for reference, 8 bolts and washers will do all your engine bay and the four in the bonnet. However, be aware that the OEM washers on the bonnet are painted but below them is not so a quick run over with touch up paint will be required for the perfect finish there.

Last edited:
Very nice! Subtle, but looks good!

2 day hangovers aren't good! But would you prefer it all condensed into one day?? :scared:

@MRizzle.

Love the washers. And thanks for joining me up to the FB group.

However - i'd ideally like Yellow or Silver. Neither of which he does. So i might go another route.

Just one thing; On just undoing a standard one a moment ago - what comes out is a really coarse threaded trim type screw.

1./ What exactly did you get in the kit re: fixings. Were they screws, a fine threaded bolt, or........?

2./ Is the washer / bolt countersink the same size as an M6 or M8 bolt ?

Last edited:
Basically these x10:

894BF9D8-6D5A-4A53-977B-369FCEE3FD23_zpsuujxllco.jpg

2E4EA093-3F08-4A1C-A368-91E209137B29_zpss1rcpcln.jpg

The bolts are a perfect fit to replace the rather coarse threaded original screws. I had doubts when I originally removed one but my fears were swiftly allayed.

You can request a security key for them but a T20 head will tighten them. I think a T25 is required to remove the original ones.

He doesn't do yellow but I actually really quite like the gold. He has pictures of them on his page.

Just saw question number 2 but this is verging on engineering and I can't even hang a curtain rail. From a quick Google search, I understand the countersink part (but only after studying Google results) and unfortunately I don't have anything to compare the bolt with to know if it would be an M6 or M8 bolt. Sorry, I realise that isn't a helpful response [MENTION=54245]sevenfourate[/MENTION]! :worried:

Basically these x10:

The bolts are a perfect fit to replace the rather coarse threaded original screws. I had doubts when I originally removed one but my fears were swiftly allayed.

He doesn't do yellow but I actually really quite like the gold. He has pictures of them on his page.

SUPERB buddy - Cheers Matt.

The lighter Gold (He calls it liquid yellow !!!) is the only one i'd consider.....as i'm slowly going for a yellow type theme under the bonnet.

Mmmmmmm.Thinking.........

Just saw question number 2 but this is verging on engineering and I can't even hang a curtain rail. From a quick Google search, I understand the countersink part (but only after studying Google results) and unfortunately I don't have anything to compare the bolt with to know if it would be an M6 or M8 bolt. Sorry, I realise that isn't a helpful response @sevenfourate! :worried:

Aghhhh. No worries.

All i meant was: if you try to put a countersunk 6mm bolt in, or a countersunk 8mm. Which one fits !

(None of which is going to matter if you don't have any to hand !!!!!!).

My point being: You can buy countersunk aluminium anodised washers "anywhere". Ebay has every size and colour known to man.

Heres some i bought from ebay and fitted with a stainless bolt to hold the rear fender on. I also had some circular neoprene washers made to sit under the washer - so the whole thing didnt eat / chew / screw its way into the decal.

IMG_2779_zpsiy3rxw84.jpg

Is there any way that I can tell without having one to compare it against? Can I measure it or anything? (Don't laugh...I'm genuinely clueless about these sorts of things!! :rofl:smile:

My point being: You can buy countersunk aluminium anodised washers "anywhere". Ebay has every size and colour known to man.

Heres some i bought from ebay and fitted with a stainless bolt to hold the rear fender on. I also had some circular neoprene washers made to sit under the washer - so the whole thing didnt eat / chew / screw its way into the decal.

IMG_2779_zpsiy3rxw84.jpg

Got ya...didn't realise that you were also such a keen bike enthusiast. I'm glad that I never got into them or I suspect that I would not be sat posting this today.

It's the printed design that you're really paying for as much as anything I should imagine but that's a nice touch in my eyes.

Is there any way that I can tell without having one to compare it against? Can I measure it or anything? (Don't laugh...I'm genuinely clueless about these sorts of things!! :rofl:smile:

Well - something 8mm diameter wont fit through a 6mm washer !

And goes without saying a 6mm bolt will be extremely sloppy in an 8mm washer.

Or can you measure either the diameter of the bolt-head, or the diameter of the countersink on the washer ?

they look great..think i need some as i im getting a bit of a rattle from under the bonnet. [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION] helped me fixed it temporally on the Scotland trip but could do with a more permanent solution..

Well - something 8mm diameter wont fit through a 6mm washer !

And goes without saying a 6mm bolt will be extremely sloppy in an 8mm washer.

Or can you measure either the diameter of the bolt-head, or the diameter of the countersink on the washer ?

Right...bear with me and I'll go get the tape measure out. That'll raise some eyebrows from the wife! Haha.