body control module

donsoliver

Paid Member
My windscreen wiper suddenly stopped working took to garage as i thought the motor had gone but it was diagnosed as fault with body control monitor.
Rang up renault the want £150 to confirm the diagnosis. .
My question is do you have to use renault to change BCM or can a technician with laptop do the same job?

Unlikely but if you used the wipers with a frozen windscreen or a lot of snow it's more likely the UPC under the bonnet which provides the electrical switching for the wipers etc. which the BCM commands. I did put detailed info in the How to sections of relays and fuses for the UPC so members can benefit but the linkage needs checked if it is seized the scuttle bay drains which can build up water and damage the motor the motor can be given 12Volt directly to see if it works.

I would check the moving parts first.

Take off the wiper arms and scuttle panel and you will have access to the wiper linkage. Make sure that has not seized first. It is a fairly common problem for the wiper linkage to seize so that the wipers no longer work. Take the linkage off and see if the linkage moves freely. If it does then whilst the linkage is off turn the wipers on and see if the wiper motor is working.

If your wipers have got progressively worse and then stopped working it might be a mechanical issue. If they suddenly stopped working without any degradation in their operation it might be an electrical issue like the garage has suggested.

Thanks all for your input the motor was changed as the garage and I thought this was the problem. After doing a diagnostic test the laptop cannot see the front wipers but the rear wipers can be seen and is working? Do I need a mechanic or Technician

When you watch the video and see what your problem is post back, there is a way of taking the linkage apart a lot of people have tried and broke the mounts etc and needed a new wiper linkage. We need to know if it's mechanical or electrical.