Blue Smoke High RPM

Hi Gents,

have noticed that my car shoots a bit of blue smoke on full throttle high rpm, but zero on general driving. The oil consumption is high around 500ml every 300km. Initially thought it was the PCV on the throttle (The idle was all over as well). After changing it the oil consumption is a little better and the idle is perfect, but still spot a bit of blue smoke on high rpm, just shoots a bit and then clears out.

Any ideas? Should i do a compression test? Characteristics don't seem like rings or valve stem seals, but then again im not familiar with these engines.

blue smoke usually means that you have a mixture of engine oil and fuel in some of the cilinders. Further on, that means that one or more cylinders are having issues with the piston rings, releasing too much oil.
A compression test will tell you if the piston rings are ok or not ok.

What you could do, is to insert a oil catch can / oil catch tank and to check how much oil (there should be oil fumes, not oil leaking in drops) comes back on the "engine breather valve", or whatever it's named. It should cost you no more than 20 pounds /25€....

I have it installed on my car and after 1000km of harsh ride, the bottle is only slightly "filthy" so to say.

Thank you for the response Majki, the car came with a catch can, and there is a small pool of oil inside of it. So it looks like it is the rings that are shot. I will have a compression test done to confirm, seems odd though as the car is only doing 84000km, and has been serviced on time.

not always piston rings with blue smoke....you can have valve guide wear or worn/faulty valve stem oil seals that allow a small amount of oil past the guides and cause blue smoke...

compression test do both a wet & dry test to compare

you will always get a small amount of oil collected in a catch can thats its job!

Similar Thread Suggestions