Blower always on?

I've got a bit of an odd one. When I bought the car the previous user said the blower wasn't working and gave me a replacement plug with all blue and red wires.

Unfortunately the numpty had chopped the old plug off so I wasn't able to do a straight swap. I've found the wiring diagram and worked out what should be where, however I have a couple of issues:

1) I have a left over white wire that's been chopped off. A total of 6 wires with 7 terminals to connect them to, but the wiring diagram shows me two are the feed for the motor(B1 and 2).

2) When its all wired up and plugged in the motor runs permanently on at full chat, no difference where ever I put the fan control.

When I measure the resistance over the big resistor at the back of the resistor pack I get 0 ohms. Does this mean the resistor is 'nacked, or have a not got the wiring correct? I get 0v from the white wire and infinite resistance to chassis so what exactly does it do?

If anyone has any ideas, or a photo of a 'normal' plug with loom connected it would be much appreciated!

Rich

OK first off if your looking help you need to let us know what kind of blower system you have the climate control with the digital screen or the three manual knobs as the resister packs are different. Do you have the original cut off plug as that would be your wiring guide sounds bad but people sometimes miss the obvious. Normally it's the plastic connector that melts and the pins get coated in melted plastic so I was able to fix mine without cutting used the new connector extracted the pins from the old one cleaned them up and put them in the new connector housing.
Mine 2008 197 manual control
upload_2019-7-9_21-19-30.png
upload_2019-7-9_21-20-2.png
upload_2019-7-9_21-20-30.png
upload_2019-7-9_21-25-27.png

Sorry I’ve been on holiday. No the previous owner threw away the plug, hence the issue!

I’ll check it out when the mrs lets me in the garage and update. Thanks for the help!

Success! Although its not entirely clear if I've gone back the original wiring, I now have a fan working on all 4 speeds using:

a1 yellow

a2 yellow

b1 green

b2 violet

b3 orange

b4 white

b5 white

The key was the picture from turkie172 (many thanks) where it would seem that I'm not using the black earth wire. Over the next few weeks I'm going to borrow a current clamp from work to see if the currents are within the spec of the wires and I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks again for the help, its very very much appreciated!

Good to find out but it's down to maintenance the pollen filter if wet or blocked with dirt puts the fan under more load like putting your hand over the end of the hoover pipe the motor revs up causing more electrical load = more heat in the wire resulting in the connector melting and failure.