Bilstein B1 OE as replacement for OEM cup dampers

Lewis Watson

Platinum Member
The front dampers in my 2012 Clio Cup need replacing. My mechanics usual Renault part suppliers are closed, but he said he can get me some Bilstein OE replacements that should be as good as OEM parts.

I'm guessing he is referring to these -> https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/product/bilstein-b1/, but they don't seem to have any distinction between cup and non-cup. Has anyone got any experience with them?

Renault parts direct or refit the dampers as long as they are working/safe until you find genuine replacements. If it was normal suspension maybe but cup I would not.

Reactions: Lewis Watson
Sure he means the Bilstein B14?

it’s a different coilover set up so there won’t be the non cup / cup scenario

I looked at RPD this morning and for some reason didn't see the dampers. Looking again now, I can see all the suspension parts. Happy days!

@Beany I did ask my mechanic if he was talking about coilovers, but he was adamant that it was just the dampers. TBH if I were to go non-standard with the suspension I would probably go with Bilstein B14s as they look quite nice. I think given the choice I'd stick with OEM though, no setup required. Just jump in and drive!

Reactions: Beany
Thanks for the advice folks. I ended up ordering parts for a complete OEM suspension refresh from RPD (dampers, coils, top mounts, anti-rollbar links). It will be interesting to compare the factory fresh stuff to the old components with ~68k miles on the clock.

I did have some fun looking into coil overs though. The kw club sports look really nice!