Big Bens non Clio

Love it! How are finding the buckets over the Recaros? I don’t know if I can bring myself to part with mine but seeing this makes me think twice!

Love it! How are finding the buckets over the Recaros? I don’t know if I can bring myself to part with mine but seeing this makes me think twice!
I did 3hrs20mins without stopping Saturday and felt pretty good. Not something I’d ever done in the recaros. Pleasantly surprised tbf. I’ll be advertising my recaros soon

New front pads and discs were required after last trackday at Croft so i did some man maths and concluded it was time for a brake upgrade:grinning:
Mk3 meg callipers and 340mm discs with dsuno pads ordered and fitted by Alex at AWMotorworks for me. Spacers and spigots machined in house to make kit fit.
Bigger brake pad surface area on bigger discs should hopefully provide the performance increase i’m after.
94203F61-2BFA-4C55-98CC-417E8847AF13.jpeg

Bit more development. Increased the bore size on oil cooler pipes to hopefully improve cooling as it still runs a touch too hot for my liking. Original fitted lines we’re definitely the wrong size imo.

6F6E29DD-4650-43AC-A766-6147AE969881.jpeg
After new fuel system was fitted had to check the mapping. First time on ED’s dyno hub. Andy always done my Clio and never left there disappointed.
1348C815-3833-4DFE-87FD-1500B334E61F.jpeg

Lightweight battery was next on my list of things to spend(waste) money on. Odyssey PC680 now AGM16L.
So glad to get rid of heavy old Bosch one that was in boot. Can get my spare wheels in now without stress!
3F0E3463-48A6-4552-A061-C011419F0352.jpeg
And a shot of car looking clean for a change. Scrubs up ok considering she’s 15 now

Attachments

• F40727BD-4562-4953-B028-FADDBA3B74BA.jpeg
    F40727BD-4562-4953-B028-FADDBA3B74BA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Nothing major happening. Been a quiet spell on the old car front as I’ve been building a rear extension on new house but thats all coming to an end now so hopefully be posting a bit more.

Snetterton this Thursday which promises to be a humdinger with the amount of Clios going. Can’t wait!
Brands hatch evening session the following Wednesday as well. Join in with all the knobheads in their powerful German barges that they can’t drive!
Proof that I’ve cleaned her as no doubt it’ll be minging time I arrive at Snetterton
C316EE75-9639-4243-A001-461BFB0A6200.jpeg
The big plans moving forward are more power to compensate for the fact that I’m slow and car is heavy. All the plumbing and internals are in place now for a Garret turbocharger. I’m still debating which variety though. Ideally around the 380bhp mark so that gearbox/clutch and other components are not stretched to the limit.
Watch this space.

Brands hatch evening session the following Wednesday as well. Join in with all the knobheads in their powerful German barges that they can’t drive!

I'm at Brands Hatch on Wednesday in a French Clio. I am looking forward to the corners at Brands Hatch and hoping that a day at Snetterton will improve my driving skills in time for Wednesday.

Reactions: Big Ben and Beany
I'm at Brands Hatch on Wednesday in a French Clio. I am looking forward to the corners at Brands Hatch and hoping that a day at Snetterton will improve my driving skills in time for Wednesday.
That’s brilliant. 25th? Be good to see another Clio. My last trip down to Brands was nearly ruined by dickhead yuppies in AMG Mercs refusing to give way to a Shiite old Clio! Hopefully just a one off. And this time it’s Javelin organised not a free for all with Opentrack….

Reactions: Beany
Be aware, it is my experience that if you run that sort of power, you will struggle for tyres. You wouldn't see a RWD with close to 400 phowas running 215 or even 225 tyres. Cars running that sort of power are on 265 to 295.

Reactions: Big Ben
Be aware, it is my experience that if you run that sort of power, you will struggle for tyres. You wouldn't see a RWD with close to 400 phowas running 215 or even 225 tyres. Cars running that sort of power are on 265 to 295.
That’s a very fair point Nick. I’ve got a couple of test drives lined up in ones that are being converted to Garret. I’ll see how they fair

You may not notice it on the road, but if you go near track, expect to limited with understeer on exit and certainly with rapid tyre wear or even blisterng. You are in the power range, or actually above, of TCR and Touring Cars which run 265 slicks

Reactions: R20BTG
You may not notice it on the road, but if you go near track, expect to limited with understeer on exit and certainly with rapid tyre wear or even blisterng. You are in the power range, or actually above, of TCR and Touring Cars which run 265 slicks
Stop being a spoilsport Nick!!
Im not building the ultimate track car here mate I’m just having fun in my own way. Yeah it might become a bit of a muscle car where the performance outweighs the handling but I’m cool with that. I use this car for meets and drives out as much as trackdays and enjoy modding and trying stuff more than chasing tenths. Plus if I get through tyres quicker you might get a few quid outa me:thumb:

Ben you should run a boost controller, where you can dial in the boost depending on the speed, more commonly known as boost-per-gear although it's linked to wheel speed rather than what gear you're in. Eg wastegate pressure up to 30mph, then programme it to increase boost as the speed increases up to full boost at say 70mph.

Ben you should run a boost controller, where you can dial in the boost depending on the speed, more commonly known as boost-per-gear although it's linked to wheel speed rather than what gear you're in. Eg wastegate pressure up to 30mph, then programme it to increase boost as the speed increases up to full boost at say 70mph.
Sounds expensive! Cheers though Sean. Something else to consider when I get together with the experts and plan what we’re doing

I really should have come out for a passenger lap with you Ben, that thing sounds effortlessly fast and it really piles the speed on quickly! Nice to see you doing the Baguettes :sweatsmile: