Behind with times

iAndy

Platinum Member
Ok time to get down with the yound un's.....

Been too much of an apple b!tch lately and as such my only games console is a wii. Used to love playing on racing games and GTA on my old playstation. So thinking of getting a new console but the question is which one? Seen a PS3 slim 320gb advertised that says it has a 3D Blu Ray player which will be a good idea as looking for a new TV and want 3D so that will sort that.

But whats the games like and choice of games etc..... Is there anything better out there?

Not much between the PS3 or an Xbox 360 mate. PS3 has the advantage of Blu Ray which the 360 doesn't support so the PS3 is a better all-in-one option to be honest. But, I've had both and I prefer the 360 as an out and out games machine. I just think it's got a better online setup (you have to pay for 360, but it's free on PS3) and as most of the people I'd play with online and family have a 360 it's the logical choice for me. The PS3 is a great hub though if you wanted to build a good home cinema/entertainment setup...

I just want a better gaming console for racing games ideally, I still love playing my old gamecube.... used to love summer nights with projector sat on porch with it aimed onto neighbours house at night, makes and excellent screen being white. Used to get annoyed when a bus went past and it disrupted my game lol

We only have a wii (mainly because we have 2 young kids and nothing to do with it being chipped)

I'd say it depends on the games you prefer as many are exclusive to the console eg mario etc.

Ive always argued there is a point a console performance is neither here or there. When driving at 180mph staring at the screen, do you really notice or not the leaf in the background?

I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually a bit of a tricky decision tbh Andy. I've got all three of the consoles (wii, ps3, and Xbox) and by far I play more games on the Xbox, the online is better and Forza is far and away the most fun racing game (though Gran Turismo is more realistic). Racing games are probably the one game genre that is so unique to the console (Forza vs GT).

The thing is the PS3 is also my blue ray player...

As to which you should buy, well like Noddie said, it might be worth holding out for the new ones, I definitely wouldn't be paying full price for a new console right now. Maybe look in to picking up a cheap used XBOX, as you can get them for nothing money, then look in to upgrading your AV set up, get your new TV and get a decent surround sound and Blu-Rau player if you want.

still got.... Mega Drive, Master System, SNES, Game Gear, Gameboy, PS1, PS2, Gamecube lol. They will be worth something one day

If its playing games your after then the 360 is definitely the console to go for. My PS3 hasnt been on in over 2 years and as a Blu-Ray player, aren't as good as a stand-a-lone Blu-Ray player imo.

Seen a definite increase in quality when we replaced the PS3 with a stand-a-lone.

If its playing games your after then the 360 is definitely the console to go for. My PS3 hasnt been on in over 2 years and as a Blu-Ray player, aren't as good as a stand-a-lone Blu-Ray player imo.

Seen a definite increase in quality when we replaced the PS3 with a stand-a-lone.

It pisses me off when people say the a blueray on the ps3 is the same as a stand alone.

Finally, someone that bloody agrees that it isn't. The ps3 is a games console firstly, movie player secondary.

Am such a mug...... Got a PS3 FIFA 13, some call of duty thing, a rally game, need for speed, gran tourismo 5 oh and an Xbox 360 all for £400. Man in currys did a right deal there I think :smile:

Managed to escape thou without buying another tv :smile: but 2 consoles and a shed load of games for that I thought was good