Battery Voltage / New Alternator Prices?

HI All

Picked up my 200 yesterday and it had been sitting a while so had the battery low message etc. Anyway, I have replaced this morning with a new battery, all connected up and measuring about 12.2v. I was under the impression that when starting the car this should then go up to 13-14v? I did test it whilst revving to 3k rpm and if anything it dropped.

Could this be because the battery is new and needs charging first or would you think the alternator is on the way out? I have put it on charge for now.

Best place to buy a new battery?

Thanks!

With engine off = 12.45

IMG_0134.jpg

Engine on idle / small revs = 12.05-12.23

IMG_0133.jpg

Low Battery & Stop Sign etc.

IMG_0136.jpg

Does it never to be driven a bit before the alternator kicks in or should this happen straight away? I presume I have the multimeter setup correctly etc.

I’d say to alternator is goosed.

That was my thinking, ah well at least the battery was only £50. Can get reconditioned alternator and new belt for £250 from Renault Parts Direct. That's for a genuine renault item. Does that sound about right?

switch the lights on...put some load on the alternator / battery...should be reading 13.5-14v+ at a fast idle ie alternator putting in voltage

switch the lights on...put some load on the alternator / battery...should be reading 13.5-14v+ at a fast idle ie alternator putting in voltage
Ok I will try again with more load. It’s in Monday for a service anyway so will get it checked but given the dash lights it seems like there’s a fault somewhere.

Still the same with the extra load, dropping under 12v with radio, lights and windows going. Looks like the alternator is shagged. I'll get a replacement ordered up asap.

I see Renault Parts Direct have genuine alternators reconditioned for £249. They are showing part number 7711497015 though.

Having read a few posts about people who have bought direct they have mentioned part numbers
- 0 124 425 069
Or
- 0 124 425 039

Is this alternator on their website the correct one? I'd rather not have ongoing issues or low battery warnings so want to get it right first time!

Thanks!

Still the same with the extra load, dropping under 12v with radio, lights and windows going. Looks like the alternator is shagged. I'll get a replacement ordered up asap.

yep a bit of a duffer!

not sure on the 197 ones but some alternators its usually the brushes worn down/away and you can replace just them as they can be unbolted on/off

Check the alternator at the connectors on it you might have a broken fuse on the big red connector onto the battery so the alternator is not able to put power back into the battery also alternators can be fixed the regulator rectifier can be replaced. If your old battery was damaged the alternator might have been damaged supplying all power for the car but it might have blown a fuse first which is now stopping the Alt from charging the new battery. I don't know where you live, but an auto electrician that is trusted to diagnose the problem or alternator repair place for a quick test on the car save you having to remove it. I have a friend had a BMW Alt fail he bought two used ones one did not fit the other was not working he brought all three to an Alt repair place they fixed the original for £15.
1589627237468.png
1589627270304.png
1589627631703.png
1589627696352.png
1589627736380.png
1589629201607.png

Sorry, see what you mean about the big red connector now, where is the fuse on this located? Can it be checked?

Removed the connector from terminal. Hard to see the fuses, do these look ok or blown? The right side looks very white and some rust on both.
8D112CC6-0925-4B0C-B577-BF121D4B636F.jpeg

It will be good to find out what's the most economical way out of this repair/recondition or new replacement if the regulator and bushes were cheap and could be fitted while on the car might be worth a go but difficult access I know remember the positive to the alt is live to the battery so disconnect the battery before you start creating sparks.