Battery relocation.

Has anyone done it to the boot?
Since the 200 has a megane engine, id like a little more room under the bonnet.

Iv actually done it, but having a few starting issues. Ran a live and earth through the car using 4gauge cable. It's earthed on the gearbox, and on the chassis in the boot. However, it rarely starts, or when it does, it really does struggle.
Thought the battery was Dead, so connected it back to the front and it fired perfect.

So I'm stuck, could it be either the battery isn't man enough to send the current all that way? Or is 4gauge cable not big enough?

Any help appreciated.

Iv actually done it, but having a few starting issues. Ran a live and earth through the car using 4gauge cable. It's earthed on the gearbox, and on the chassis in the boot. However, it rarely starts, or when it does, it really does struggle.
Thought the battery was Dead, so connected it back to the front and it fired perfect.

So I'm stuck, could it be either the battery isn't man enough to send the current all that way? Or is 4gauge cable not big enough?

Any help appreciated.
I'm no electrician. If cable wasn't man enough it would be getting hot under cranking ? Sounds like an earth issue

Any help appreciated.

Off topic - you need to get pics up of your clio!

Reactions: Big Ben
I did mine. I ran the positive cable to the boot, and a short negative to earth in the boot, and placed in Battery box, and then it was easy to locate the air filter to the front of the car.

I did mine. I ran the positive cable to the boot, and a short negative to earth in the boot, and placed in Battery box, and then it was easy to locate the air filter to the front of the car.
That's what I tried to do in the first place, but it would work.
Do you know the size of the cable you used?0

pics are in order...would like to see it myself..was planning on doing that but left it for now...

You need bigger than 4 guage. It's fine for wiring an AMP in but not for a battery in the boot.

No need to run an earth cable through the car. Just earth to a good point in the boot.

Where did you connect the positive to where the battery used to be at the front?

pics are in order...would like to see it myself..was planning on doing that but left it for now...
Hi Pal. I have been trying to upload Battery/cable/install photos. They are on my phone, but at 77 years old, and for whatever reason, it won't load. I give up.

Last edited:
You'll get a drop in resistance with too small or crap cable. I used 40mm cable when I done my 172 and it was perfect from the start. Google is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sevenfourate