Back fire when pulling off

Glenn_Adam_Doble

Winner - POTM May 2018, June 2018
Platinum Member
Does this happen to anyone else,

It happens after the car is stood and left to fully cool down, the car starts fine but when I pull away it sort of borks then does a big pop/back fire big loss of power like its stalling but recovers if I dip the clutch then it's completely fine

I had this on my old fiesta, could be a dodgy coil pack, was an easy enough fix on that, don't know what it's like on a clio

Our clips don't have coils packs. We have coil on spark so it might be an iffy plug

are you giving the car a lot of throttle when cold-ish?

I wouldn't say so Scott, I start it up then let it settle for a few seconds while I plug my iPod in, then gently pull of it borks abit then bang from the back end, it just might not like being cold, each car has its own quirk

Probably just the exhaust warming up tbh, if it's cold and you're getting the pops or bangs from the exhaust on gear changes or lifting off.

my 197 does it and my 182 also did it.

Yeah I get the crackles and pops on the gear changes, all I think it is abit of fuel in the exhaust and as you say, it's probably just warming up

I wouldn't say so Scott, I start it up then let it settle for a few seconds while I plug my iPod in, then gently pull of it borks abit then bang from the back end, it just might not like being cold, each car has its own quirk

Sounds like a cold engine to me,but tbh to make mine do that when cold I had to give it a fair touch of the smile peddle

Has it always done it Glenn? Hope it's not the timing :worried:

It's only started doing it since the weather had warmed up, I don't think it's the timing as there is no drop in performance it literally does it once and then everything is fine

Mine does this also occasionally. It seems to bog down and back fire like mad. Let of the throttle and let it settle and its seems fine afterward. The warmer weather does seem to make it happen more often.

funny about all this unusual noises etc mine started to be a bit more popping as such down the exhaust - still goes ok and fuel useage still ok - cannot sence anything a miss apart from bigger exhaust pops :001_unsure:

Never have that before. In fact mines would only pop when I'm changing gear in 5-6k rpm.
But the cold start thing is a bit annoying some how.

Mine does this also occasionally. It seems to bog down and back fire like mad. Let of the throttle and let it settle and its seems fine afterward. The warmer weather does seem to make it happen more often.

sounds similar to what mine and 200gordini's did after fitting the pre cat delete pipe,paul at RS Tuning advised us to take it to the stealers and have the fuel trim reset which solved the problem!