Axle spacers good idea?

Been thinking of getting spacers for my 197 and I've heard axle spacers are better because they have a lower load bearing on the wheel compared to normal eibach or h&r 10mm spacers. There's a bit more effort in fitting but these are HALF THE PRICE of spacers and yet supposedly are better? Surely there's a catch i'm missing?

I've looked on every spacer thread there is, just looking for some solid advice.

Thanks

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/clio-3rs-stub-axle-spacer-kit.html

Reactions: papa
No catch at all mate - you probably saw my post about them on my Mk3 thread?
Essentially they are bits of metal that extend the hub out, hence the price. Was a no brainer for me to do and didn't have to change the wheel bolts. Highly recommend them if you want a sensible amount of spacing. Just darn fiddly to fit if you only have a jack, a ramp would be so much easier!

No catch at all mate - you probably saw my post about them on my Mk3 thread?
Essentially they are bits of metal that extend the hub out, hence the price. Was a no brainer for me to do and didn't have to change the wheel bolts. Highly recommend them if you want a sensible amount of spacing. Just darn fiddly to fit if you only have a jack, a ramp would be so much easier!

Yep they look a safe bet, just need to find some decent springs (eibach or h&r) and that'll be a nice little job when the weather is better. If you know anywhere with a tutorial or run-through about fitting them that would be incredibly helpful.
Thanks again

Yep they look a safe bet, just need to find some decent springs (eibach or h&r) and that'll be a nice little job when the weather is better. If you know anywhere with a tutorial or run-through about fitting them that would be incredibly helpful.
Thanks again

A little taster from my thread here and Pure's fitting instructions here - you need to get to the 4 bolts that hold everything on and they are tighter than a duck's arse. The clearance is VERY limited if you can't get under the car or have the right tool. You need a socket that has a bit of purchase behind it that isn't too bulky as it will foul against other parts. If you're not mechanically minded/proficient I'd advise getting a garage do it as it took me 3.5 hours on my driveway.

Reactions: alliemam197
Thanks again
Have a set of near new H&R springs I'm about to sell. Only done 3 trackdays on them since new (zero road miles). PM me if interested. They are for 197 & early 200.

Reactions: Micah
A little taster from my thread here and Pure's fitting instructions here - you need to get to the 4 bolts that hold everything on and they are tighter than a duck's arse. The clearance is VERY limited if you can't get under the car or have the right tool. You need a socket that has a bit of purchase behind it that isn't too bulky as it will foul against other parts. If you're not mechanically minded/proficient I'd advise getting a garage do it as it took me 3.5 hours on my driveway.
I can't seem to find front 10mm hubcentric spacers anywhere that'll match the 10mm rear axle spacers, what did you use for your fronts?

I can't seem to find front 10mm hubcentric spacers anywhere that'll match the 10mm rear axle spacers, what did you use for your fronts?

I copied the setup @sevenfourate has with 5mm standard spacers - I think he said the setup hails from the Clio Cup series?
I was going to post a link for them on eBay but looks like the seller has every size but 5mm 60.1 bore 5x108 !!
Was nice and subtle, and although I don't have the car anymore, check out his thread as you'll see plenty of shots of the most immaculate RB 200 in the UK :tongueout:
It's a very subtle stance.

I copied the setup @sevenfourate has with 5mm standard spacers - I think he said the setup hails from the Clio Cup series?
I was going to post a link for them on eBay but looks like the seller has every size but 5mm 60.1 bore 5x108 !!
Was nice and subtle, and although I don't have the car anymore, check out his thread as you'll see plenty of shots of the most immaculate RB 200 in the UK :tongueout:
It's a very subtle stance.

Your memory serves you correctly :sunglasses: 5mm or possibly 8mm spacers (Each side) upfront for me. Either require bolts of the same extra length. You will NOT get away with the standard length. Not enough threads holding wheel in the hub.....

The track width at the front directly replicates Cup racers. I found this through a bit of research. More than anything - i wanted zero chance of any rubbage etc and didn't want to go full-bore with 25mm widening. I'm an Engineer by day....and the extra stresses didn't appeal to me either @alliemam197 !

Gives a tiny bit more stance all around if you're running 10mm Pure M/Sport stub axle spacers as pointed out by my learned friend, and is supposed to produce / keep the very best handling traits. From memory under some circumstances it was found that if the track is any wider at the front: the wheels can toe or splay in / out under acceleration and braking and very slightly change the geometry. All very minor stuff - bearing in mind the racer cars have numerous other changes / upgrades; and i'm sure for my summer road use it make no odds. But hey......

Pics of my somewhat limited 'stance' here:

36688445065_ac30a0c038_b.jpg

35259273680_21b1e0c266_b.jpg

25583212028_a6e3f778d9_b.jpg

39453668841_88c909a414_b.jpg

2_zpsap1koc16.jpg

Anodised Aluminium spacers i got from seller of same name on ebay here:

35259272490_7fe379d395_b.jpg

Link to my build / progress thread is in the sig at the bottom of my posts. (Or install of spacers etc here on page 49, and my thoughts then continue at the top of page 50):

http://www.clio197.net/threads/shuvs-racing-blue-200.52286/page-49

Good luck ! **Also see you're in Suffolk. Welcome to come for a look.........

Last edited:
I kept bouncing between the idea of 19mm KTEC spacers and bolts (dont want it bulging or 'stanced', no offence intended to anyone) and 10mm rear and 5mm fronts but wanted to keep functionality at its best. This has persuaded me to go with the latter option!

I kept bouncing between the idea of 19mm KTEC spacers and bolts (dont want it bulging or 'stanced', no offence intended to anyone) and 10mm rear and 5mm fronts but wanted to keep functionality at its best. This has persuaded me to go with the latter option!
Yeah its a tough one, plus fitting the axle spacers seems a little daunting to me so might have to wait for the days to get a little longer for that job. Have you fitted or got a garage to fit axle spacers to yours yet?

Yeah its a tough one, plus fitting the axle spacers seems a little daunting to me so might have to wait for the days to get a little longer for that job. Have you fitted or got a garage to fit axle spacers to yours yet?

I have access to a pit and flat driveway but dont fancy doing it, hence why Ive been putting it off! Ive also got a replacement stub axle to fit anyway due to a knackered ABS sensor holder, its rotted away.