Anyone owned a Panda 100hp? How does it compare to the Clio?

I love my Clio but at 17k miles a year and 26mpg most of which is done in traffic the fuel bills are starting to grate, especially as I am trying to save for a house deposit.

I want something chuckable but with better running costs. Evo magazine metaphorically sucked the Panda off for 10 months whilst it was there as a long termer. I can probably sell my car, and buy a Panda and have 2k to stick in the house fund. My mpg will be 50% lower, insurance is much cheaper as well.

So, any opinions?

I had a panda (it was the 1.2 i think) as a courtesy car and I can honestly say I would never buy one as they feel like they are going to topple over constantly!

But it's not me that's going to buy one so I'd suggest going for a test drive and if you like it then that's all that matters :smile: Sticking with the fiats though, you not thought about a 500 abarth?

Id honestly say if you want to save money then do it properly. I looked at other cars that were fast but had a bit better fuel but decided in the end to go boring for a while and get the ZS. 51mpg and £20 to tax. Nice cheap runner for the time being

What you gonna do Ross? Take the front seats out and drive from the rear?

Need photos of you trying to fit!!

Id honestly say if you want to save money then do it properly. I looked at other cars that were fast but had a bit better fuel but decided in the end to go boring for a while and get the ZS. 51mpg and £20 to tax. Nice cheap runner for the time being

Yeah but how much is a Zetec-S to purchase? Finance is 100% out of the question. How much is a £3.5k Panda 100hp going to depreciate compared to a newer Fiesta as well. Once I have a house sorted then I will get back into something a bit tastier.

What you gonna do Ross? Take the front seats out and drive from the rear?

Need photos of you trying to fit!!

I've driven a 1.2 on holiday and it wasn't as bad as you would think :smile:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/205659/fiat_panda_100hp.html

yup, i ran a Panda 100hp for quite some time as a daily driver (had an Impreza STi for weekend fun).

it was an excellent car. real fun to drive, perfectly comfortable for commuting and a blast down a decent B road.

I would have another one without fail. Although it doesnt have that much of a 'cool' factor, if that sort of thing bothers you!?

Even took it to the ring one year and managed a 10:03 lap 4 up!

normal 1.2 8v are no ball of fire but the 16v panda are good little motors

me i would personally have a punto 1.2 active sport 8v/16v - loads about dirt cheap to run and fix and still got some italian flair :jedi:

I always liked the look of these, but I saw the interior and thought it looked terrible. A friend of mine had a Grande Punto 1.4 turbo. Fantastic little car, very quick and well equipped. That's if you can find one! He sold his after 4 and a half years with very few issues and 12k a year.

Great little cars very well equipped from the get go, epic handling and a proper giggle to drive, only downside I found was the ride which is very bumpy and thus can get very tiresome on longer journeys

Last edited:
I love my Clio but at 17k miles a year and 26mpg most of which is done in traffic the fuel bills are starting to grate, especially as I am trying to save for a house deposit.

I want something chuckable but with better running costs. Evo magazine metaphorically sucked the Panda off for 10 months whilst it was there as a long termer. I can probably sell my car, and buy a Panda and have 2k to stick in the house fund. My mpg will be 50% lower, insurance is much cheaper as well.

So, any opinions?
Hi,
I've owned one for 5 years. Love it!
Regards,
Dan.

I had one for about 3years, great little car, good fun to drive.. just dont expect mind blowing performance, but balance is good and chassis is direct. -steering feel is a tad lacking but other than that thumbs up.

Completely different drive to the other pandas..

I had one for about 3years, great little car, good fun to drive.. just dont expect mind blowing performance, but balance is good and chassis is direct. -steering feel is a tad lacking but other than that thumbs up.

Completely different drive to the other pandas..

yup, i ran a Panda 100hp for quite some time as a daily driver (had an Impreza STi for weekend fun).

it was an excellent car. real fun to drive, perfectly comfortable for commuting and a blast down a decent B road.

I would have another one without fail. Although it doesnt have that much of a 'cool' factor, if that sort of thing bothers you!?

Even took it to the ring one year and managed a 10:03 lap 4 up!

Looks like the Panda 100hp could be the gateway to a Meg'd Clio :hug1:

It wasn't a special edition, just an option pack (questionable silver cheat line, silver mirrors, anthracite alloys and red calipers).

I had my "Steath Panda" as it was christend by the finacee (due to it's grey paint and total disregard for the ego's of other road users) for just over a year. It was a fantastic fun little thing that was well equiped and proved cheap to run. I got about 43mpg mixed driving, servicing even at Fiat was very reasonable and being so small and light it was very easy on tyres and brakes. It was also very reliable, don't let anybody tell you that FIATs these days aren't.

One word of caution though take an extended test drive over all kinds of roads. The ride is incredibley, far harder than Cup, firm. It's not a "nice" firm like a Cupped Clio either ie taut, well damped, just enough to take the edges off more like a thump, bounce, crash, boing kind of firm.

Contary to what other posters have said I found it more than bearable on long journeys. Drove down to Devon from Leeds in one hit in climate controlled comfort. The engine has enough flexiblity in 6th for relaxed cruising and is fairly quiet.

It was on the back roads it struggled. Backing off because you've hit your head on the roof isn't fun (I'm only 5'8" and if you've sat in a Panda you'll realise just how much noggin room there is). Saying that it was still imense fun.