Anyone help with mk 2 Clio 1.5 dci engine management light?

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Basically I'm on holiday in Turkey. I've hired a Renault Symbol (mk2 Clio with a boot instead of a hatch) with a 1.5dci lump. The engine management light keeps coming on and off. Guy at the Hire place wasn't bothered, but I don't want to break down.

Comes on under acceleration normally, then either stays on for a while or goes off when I taken foot off. I did 60km earlier though and it didn't come on at all. Still feels ok, very slight drop in power if the light comes on.

most likely the egr valve sticking....

on the other hand it could all many of things!

Haven't got any smoke, was wondering if it could be a dirty MAF sensor.

It's gone back now. Grew rather attached to the little underpowered saloon my wife nicknamed 'Heap'! The light went off for a good while and I did about 300 miles in it without issue. Used about £30 worth of diesel too, so quite good considering not one of those miles was done without the a/c on. The poor thing can't be far from retirement, it was in poor condition and had nearly 62k miles on the clock.

They were designed and made in Turkey, the quality of the materials showed this too, it simply wasn't up to the standards of Europe. Boot was huge though.

DSC_0229_zps05cfe5f7.jpg