Anyone had a r26 f1 megane 230?

In a debate with myself if I could do with a bigger car!
id love a meg 250 but I don't want any car payments so it is not an option. I could however get a meg 230 f1.
just wondering what people's thoughts are of this car.
autocar gives it a fantastic write up

Roblynn on here had one, like all the same generation there a few common faults but nothing massive. Get one in LY though!

GW FTW, LY is just too much yellow on a meg, plus the GWs hold their price a lot better, the LYs are 10 a penny and can be picked up as some of the cheapest out of the bunch now

P1010025.gif

P1010027.gif

I got rid of my R26 for a 265, if I could've kept both I would've done as they're both cracking cars. Had the R26 around five and a half years, apart from the common faults like hub bearings and window regs it ran brilliantly. It was mapped from around 700 miles on RS Tunings stage 1 map, around 12000 it was stage 2'd with 265 bhp and around 320 lbft torque, went fairly well. Clutch lasted until around 50000 and I uprated it with a helix which was around £1200. I'd thoroughly recommend one, the only thing I would say is I had a 172 before it and jumping from NA to boost took some getting used too initially, I missed redlining the 172 but soon got used to the turbo'd torque !

I like the fun factor of NA engines but the torque from the turbo is good too! The Megane is awesome in a straight line but defies physics in the corners. Saying that I still miss my Clio. However if I traded her in for a 200 now I would no doubt miss my Megane! In an Ideal world I would have both cars but that for me is not financially viable. If you do opt for a Megane, it has to be LY. If not you will regret it every time you see one! It's the best colour by far! Then again I'm bias! I looked at a Black one which was perfect but couldn't commit to buy because I just knew I would regret it every time I saw one in LY!

Last edited:
I I do change I'll go and have a test drive of one, otherwise it's another dc5 itr for me
me might do nothing and stick with the clio :smile:

I loved my R26 it's the best car I have ever had it was very useable day to day and on a steady motorway run it would return 40mpg, however when you turn on the taps it's was quit simple brilliant, I had a run out at x-mas time on let's say well warn tyres and Paul in his R27 couldn't shake me even on the twistys, the turn in was brilliant and it just gripped and gripped.

Things to look out for drivers side hub window regulator water in the foot wells ( more of a pain than a problem ) and then standard things like service history. If someone hadn't wrote mine off for me them I would have kept it forever.

Really want to try out a meg man. Never driven a turbo before... Can't imagine how hard it will pull web the turbo kicks in.

What's the difference really on the feel ??

The Clio has better response through the steer wheel, on a B road there probably isn't much in it, the Megane is easier o drive as in you don't need to push it as hard to make you smile. Both cars are are very different but are equally as good