Anyone ever had a 197 TL4 box replaced?

Basically the GT shares the same gearbox as a 197 only with different ratios. Ive been having problems with it recently where by a lot of the time, but not all the time, it will crunch into 3rd gear. Its always been pretty notchy when engaging any gear and quite possibly one of the worst (Slowest) gearboxes ive ever had to operate. Even when not rushing the synchros it crunches. Last night it was worse than usual and beginning to get very concerned and am even thinking about going into Renault to get it fixed under warranty (Pain and sorrow).

I wondered if the TL4 box is commonly known to break, and if having it replaced will mean another 14,000 miles of use before it needs replacing?

Cheers.

The 197 was offered with two versions of this 'box, initially the TL4003, and later the TL4024. While I don't recall hearing of any TL4024 versions failing, I have heard of several 4003's which were replaced under warranty with 4024's. Usually due to syncro issues, especially around 3rd gear.

Sounds like there could be a problem with my box then. Car is a 59 plate, surely if Renault knew about the old box and its problems they wouldnt have used it in the GT?

I knew the 197 was first released with one TL4 gearbox, and then another later with longer ratios and a shorter throw (I think?), but im sure it was changed well before my car was even released.

Is there any way of finding out what the exact gearbox I have is, as ive got shorter ratios to compensate for the severe lack in power it will be a different TL4 from either of the two youve mentioned. I wonder if theres any point, as knowing my luck ill end of with exactly the same gearbox.

You still have a different box tho? Yours is a 5 speed if it's a GT? Some have had them replaced yes, but it's still different to yours. If it's that new, then Renault is your only option. They only do one box for yours do even if it's replaced you will end up with the same one.

No, its the same TL4 box only with different ratios. 6 forward one reverse. Technically, yes its a different box, I would imagine, as you said, and what im worried about, they will replace it with the same gearbox.

No, its the same TL4 box only with different ratios. 6 forward one reverse. Technically, yes its a different box, I would imagine, as you said, and what im worried about, they will replace it with the same gearbox.

Well then yes they will replace it with the same box. There isnt anything else out there mate.