Anyone else find the 197 steering too light?

A little controversial this one. First off, I love my 197. Its loadsa fun and probably my fav of all the hot hatchbacks I've owned, but one thing that bugs me about its handling is the steering - I find it too light.

I first started driving hot hatches in 1994 with a Peugeot 106 XSI which had a 1.4 96 bhp engine. What made it epic was it only weighed 850 kilos and had no power steering. It was epic fun around country roads and had similar exhaust grunt to the 197. It was like an angry little terrier dog when you went over 5000 rpm.

Then came a couple of 106 GTis which I loved for that extra bit of power and while it certainly cornered better, I don't think the handling or the feel was as quite good as the XSI - possibly due to the power assisted steering.

So now I've been driving the Clio 197 for a year, the one thing I wish is that the steering was a little heavier and had a little more feel. Its a riot around corners, is the fastest hatch I've owned and it really makes a great sound when its at high revs, but maybe the one thing its lacking is feel and a bit of meat when turning it in to the bends. Its almost like its too easy.

Obviously I'm not going to argue with Renault who've been making brilliant hot hatches for donkey's years and clearly know **** loads more than me, but its just a though.

Happy to hear anyone's opinions on this.

Rob

Try the city button on my GFs fiat panda. Is banter haha.

seriously though I never thought there steering was light on my 197...

Yeah I think my 197 is bang on, certainly wouldn't call it light. Has a nice weighty feel to it but without being heavy

My MK 6 fiesta ST had nice weighty steering when the plannets aligned and the pas pump wasn't being silly. It did take me a while to get used to the Clios electric steering.

I think that it slightly lacks in feel but that's purely a trait of electric steering and the only time that it's slightly bothered me is when parking in really tight spaces because there's a bit of a lack of communication as to exactly what the wheels are doing. Nothing that a careful adjustment of mirrors doesn't compensate for. I've not once thought that the steering was too light though.

Compared to a lot of modern cars that I've driven the Clio 197 has quite weighty steering. Ok you can tell it's assisted but it's still better than most!

Your not going to get the same feel you did from the 90s generation of hot hatches. The Clio is probably one of the few that still captures some of their magic in terms of steering and chassis. I've owned quite a few hot hatches and I'd say the Clio is the best in terms of steering feel and chassis.

Agree with others that have replied. I don't find steering too light on my 197 it's bang on. What tyre pressures you running.

I find it lighter than my old mk5 Zetec-S Fiesta, but definitely not too light. It seems just right for me, and pretty good for an electrically-assisted rack.

Cheers guys for all your replies. I guess it comes down to a personal preference, coming from the 90s hot hatch era. I'd like the steering to have a bit more feel or weight in the corners. Its almost too easy, with very little feedback from the front wheels. The steering in my (2003) 5 series sport is much heavier. I still love my 197 though.