Any idea what this noise is?!?

littleg78

Paid Member
Started getting this noise from the engine on cold mornings - just wondering if anyone can tell me how expensive it sounds!?!

Thanks!

Have you go the valve on the intake system? I can see you have the ktr kit on.
Sometimes they get stuck and make that sound until warmed up.

Reactions: littleg78
Valve? Not sure TBH... I put the KTR kit on recently, but the noise was there last winter. Forgot about it over the summer, and now it’s come back with the cold mornings!

Hopefully it’s just one of those cold start noises - just worried incase it’s one of the more expensive ones that could be terminal without attention!

PCV Valve on the inlet, clean or replace - I replaced it to save the hassle but have seen people taking them apart to clean out. Not sure if there is a diaphragm in them which may have split though.

I would remove the PCV valve for a short time see if the sound changes, Could be an electrical noise from the throttle body or the solenoid for the cold air valve but the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. Now the other thing would be press the clutch and see if the sound changes also does it change with revs because I would check if its the clutch or clutch slave bearing.

I removed the PCV valve and found it a bit gunky - so worth replacing anyway.

The noise was the same when I fully depressed clutch, but I can’t remember if it changed with engine revs. Cars sat in the garage where it’s a warm 9 degrees so didn’t make the noise when I started it up again earlier.

While I was poking around I think I’ve spotted where my coolant has been going, it’s pretty filthy down there, but could see coolant pooling.

21BEC837-DEF0-4438-83FC-D172979E30D5.jpeg

Maybe related to the noise... it’s in the same general area???

Similar Thread Suggestions