Another R888 thread.....sorry

This kind of thread has probably been done several times before.....sorry.

I'm thinkin about getting some Toyo R888 fitted to my 200 for the summer (mainly as I'm going to the Alps in July).
So...firstly are R888's the best or are there actually tires out there that are just as good and maybe cheaper?
Secondly, how many road miles do you reckon i'd get out them? 2000? 4000? etc.
Finally, what's a good price for 4 and most importantly do you reckon they are worth it?

Thanking you in advance :smile:

This kind of thread has probably been done several times before.....sorry.

I'm thinkin about getting some Toyo R888 fitted to my 200 for the summer (mainly as I'm going to the Alps in July).
So...firstly are R888's the best or are there actually tires out there that are just as good and maybe cheaper?
Secondly, how many road miles do you reckon i'd get out them? 2000? 4000? etc.
Finally, what's a good price for 4 and most importantly do you reckon they are worth it?

Thanking you in advance :smile:

They are superb tyres but not ideal for day to day driving on the road. They are quite noisy, tend to fill the arches with $hite and ware down quickly.

The can be picked up for around 100 a tyre at the mo which is a bargain (I bought another set as they were so cheap). Despite what people say they are also quite good in the wet (However not so much on standing water).

i actually mounted some r888 for the summer. As N0ddie mentioned: They are quite noisy, ware down quickly, and tend to follow the lane grooves. You also will spend a half a litre more fuel per 100 km.
But on the other hand are these tires a dream in every turn, you will have a lot of fun with them. They are very sticky and you will reach a speed in the turns you never expected... For short rides are they perfect, they are also usable for highways, but I think that you will loose to much rubber during longer rides over the highway...

^ they're good.

Hankook V70a in hard compound?

Toyo R1 R. Not quite as soft as an 888, but quieter and have 7/8mm new instead of 5mm, so last maybe twice as long?

Hankook RS2. Not as track biased, but still better than a standard road tyre. Will last a lot longer, work far better when cold and asked to deal with standing water.

The 200 isn't powerful, R888's are (imho) a bit pointless on them.

Cheers guys!

The can be picked up for around 100 a tyre at the mo which is a bargain (I bought another set as they were so cheap). Despite what people say they are also quite good in the wet (However not so much on standing water).

Where can you get them for £100? and i'm guessing they're good in wet cos they can get good temp in them.

i actually mounted some r888 for the summer. As N0ddie mentioned: They are quite noisy, ware down quickly, and tend to follow the lane grooves. You also will spend a half a litre more fuel per 100 km.
But on the other hand are these tires a dream in every turn, you will have a lot of fun with them. They are very sticky and you will reach a speed in the turns you never expected... For short rides are they perfect, they are also usable for highways, but I think that you will loose to much rubber during longer rides over the highway...

Presume extra fuel is down to higher rolling resistance. Not too fussed about noise on motorway or wear and tear as only need them to last 4000 miles ish.

Gona have a look at a few of the other like the yokohamas and hancooks etc. Are they gona be stickier than the standard conti's?

Personally I wouldn't get them for a roadtrip even if you only want them for the duration. I would go for r1r or Grumpytwig got the Yokohama AD08 and liked them a lot. I think you need something less focused.

Its also important to remember that some countries have different laws over the minimum tread depth... IIRC France must have 3mm so you would be on thin ice when heading back to the UK.

Hankook RS2. Not as track biased, but still better than a standard road tyre. Will last a lot longer, work far better when cold and asked to deal with standing water.

The 200 isn't powerful, R888's are (imho) a bit pointless on them.

Irrespective of power a car waring 888s is always gonna corner faster than the same car waring RS2s (For example). So imo they aint pointless at all.

Cheers guys!

Where can you get them for £100? and i'm guessing they're good in wet cos they can get good temp in them.

Gona have a look at a few of the other like the yokohamas and hancooks etc. Are they gona be stickier than the standard conti's?

I got mine off eBay but looking on there now prices are back to about £160 a tyre.

The Yokos (A048, not A048R which is the trackday tyre) and Hancooks (RS2s) will be better than the Contis, but quite frankly not in the same league as 888s.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how much power the car has, 888s et al increase lateral grip.

You're not going to get enough heat into an 888 on the road to see the benefit over an R1R/A048/RS2, they'll all feel pretty much the same - so you may as well go for something a bit cheaper and with more depth to cover you legally as mentioned above. They don't f*** about with warnings and £60 fines in Europe, they'll impound your car and take you for hundreds of Euros.

Last edited:
Irrespective of power a car waring 888s is always gonna corner faster than the same car waring RS2s (For example). So imo they aint pointless at all.

Will that make it more fun? That, after all, is the point of track days. In my experience, no. Yes, it laps quicker. It also loses some adjustability, not a sacrifice I was happy with. Add to that the increased wear on brakes/drivetrain/suspension.

With something more road biased (RS2 for example) you gain the added responsiveness from the stiffer sidewall.

End of the day, if we wanted the quickest car for the money, non of us would buy Clio's! Everyone's opinion is valid, I just don't see the point in buying a hot hatch then worrying about ultimate pace.

Will that make it more fun? That, after all, is the point of track days. In my experience, no. Yes, it laps quicker. It also loses some adjustability, not a sacrifice I was happy with. Add to that the increased wear on brakes/drivetrain/suspension.

With something more road biased (RS2 for example) you gain the added responsiveness from the stiffer sidewall.

End of the day, if we wanted the quickest car for the money, non of us would buy Clio's! Everyone's opinion is valid, I just don't see the point in buying a hot hatch then worrying about ultimate pace.

I'd say yes.

The AD08s I use come with 8mm of tread instead of the A048 or 888 5mm, they also wear less but still provide more grip (once warm) than normal road tyres so more cost effective than 888s etc..
I couldn't recommend them enough as a none winter tyre. I was having no trouble out braking/cornering cars on road tyres and in my experience have kept in toe with cars running 888s that perform similarly otherwise.

And on the side they work well in the wet and providing you don't go barrelling into standing water work ok there.

I would say yes too. The Conti's (granted it was cold, but tyres were upto temp) were easier to find the limits with, but were disappointing under heavy braking, plus understeer was worse on the hairpin, though this part of the track was a touch greasy.

ok, so out of the tires r888, a048s, ad08, rs2, which would be number 1?? if money wasnt a problem and for a right out trackday tire?? :smile:

ok, so out of the tires r888, a048s, ad08, rs2, which would be number 1?? if money wasnt a problem and for a right out trackday tire?? :smile:

One of the first two obviously, you're comparing two dedicated track day tyres to two road tyres (albeit good ones).