Annoying rattle

jont-

Gold Member
I first noticed this halfway home from picking the car up, after an enthusiastic drive around Cirencester. Any ideas about likely culprits? You can hear it's worst around 2200 rpm.
[video]https://youtu.be/UZ-vEBiD_qc[/video]
The rattle is worse when under load, and doesn't appear at all until the car has started to warm up.

Had the diffuser off at the weekend to eliminate that (and it was still present), and a good poke around the exhaust didn't find any obvious loose heatshields underneath the car.

Any other ideas what to look for?

thanks,

Jon

haha..same here..identical noise..i've given up tbh..had my diffuser off countless times and still dont know..have you got a standard exhaust or an aftermarket??
exactly around 2,00rpm too..like i was sitting in mine :poke:

Last edited:
Reactions: licenuk
Boot catch rattle with an aftermarket exhaust maybe. Mine rattles a wee bit at about 1500rpm but it goes away when the car warms up. Only did it since I put the scorpion on. It's probably hitting off the heatshield on the diffuser.

wish it was that chris but it is not..drove with the diff off and still did it..mine goes away when i press against the back box..and it is not the heatshield either..start to think it may be the actual back box itself....

Thanks for the replies so far. Standard exhaust. Could be boot catch - I can hear the occasional "thunk" from the boot too, so I've bean meaning to look at that.

try to to press against the pipes and have someone to rev it for you..see if it still does it...

Might be worth checking if the heatshield on the underside of the car is secured properly. When mine was up on the ramp initially it was loose and resting on the exhaust

might be jont's case..check this...hope you get it sorted as mine has been bugging me for months now..bet my diff spent more time off the car than on it :d

Last edited:
I've had something very similar on mine, perhaps worst than the video makes out. Couldn't get to the root of the problem, had taken off the diffuser several times couldn't see anything wrong. At the moment it occasionally comes and goes once the car has warmed up, I wasn't sure if it was the flexi's in the manifold or the heat shield above the exhaust rattling around :/ none the wiser still.

Welcome to Renault :smile:
I'm used to Lotus ownership FFS :d

I'm intrigued so many people have the same problem but no-one has found a fix. At least it's comforting that I shouldn't be worrying too much about it.

Next step is to get SWMBO to give the car a rev while I have a good poke around to try and narrow down where it's coming from.

Try looking at the bar that holds the seat belts in its shockingly bad the thing knocks and rattles if a tiny bit loose. It looks like a bent piece of 6mm bar rammed into a hole!! unbelievable ! I sure a lot of these rattles you guys have is caused by this stupid seat belt fixing! Have a look at yours tonight! I only found this by accident!

Cheers Dave

Try looking at the bar that holds the seat belts in its shockingly bad the thing knocks and rattles if a tiny bit loose. It looks like a bent piece of 6mm bar rammed into a hole!! unbelievable ! I sure a lot of these rattles you guys have is caused by this stupid seat belt fixing! Have a look at yours tonight! I only found this by accident!

Cheers Dave

I was going to suggest this, if you are referring to the isofix bar. Mine made a very large vibrating noise when I removed the rear seats; however, it didn't sound quite like the video for me.

so a little update..had the car jacked up today and had a little wobble around the mid silencer..as above,it is either a knackered mid exhaust mount or an internal exhaust rattle ie from the baffles..will try to order one from renault as its not that expensive..will see if it works..

I get this annoying rattle from the boot lid.. I don't even have the inner boot lid trim on and can't see or feel anything loose.. Yet when i drive the car it starts again!

Also pav, don't rule out the mounts holiding the rear silencer on as they will also be moving if your wobbling the mid box.