Aluminium Engine Corrosion

Hi All

I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of Renaultsport motors and have a question to ask. I've noticed fairly significant amounts of what looks like a white powder on the surface of the engine of my Clio 200. Apart from this the engine bay is basically spotless. From searching on the net, it seems that this is likely to be corrosion of the aluminium engine components. Has anyone else experienced a similar thing? Is it common? The car is only one year old!

Any help or advice will be gratefully received!

Thanks

Aluminium, by it's very nature is ALREADY oxidised.

The white/silver colour to ANY piece of Aluminium is infact ''rust'' for want of a better word.

I think I know what you mean though, the top of the head can look a bit ''dusty'' I suppose. Can't say it's something I've ever really put any thought into as Aluminium doesn't rot/rust/oxidise in a conventional way that iron/steel would. I certainly can't remember ever reading or hearing about anyone having a problem with their car as a result of Aluminium components corroding. :smile:

Aluminium corrodes and the oxidised layer will actually protect the aluminium below on anything unpainted/treated.

Any particular areas?

/edit boo to Willis who beat me to it :smile:

Woohoo!!! :smiley:

I think gc8 might mean on the top of the cam cover, it can look a bit ''dusty'' for want of a better word!?! That's the only thing I can think of anyway. Mines going to be getting a good scrubbing once the weather perks up, saying that, the whole car is in dire need of a good scrub at the moment. :smile:

have given mine a wipe over and sprayed round with wd40/gt85 and it seems to have slowed the corrosion down:bat:

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry haven't had chance to respond earlier - wife and 3 year old daughter have both been hit badly with the flu. Hasn't been the best Christmas break I have ever had!

The "corrosion" is actually a fair bit worse in some locations than a simple white dusty coating. I'll try and post a few photos when I get a chance to so it's clearer what I mean.

Anyway thanks again everyone.

Water getting on the aluminium can give the white spots as you describe. Condensation is the main reason and driving the car infrequently makes it worse, so I guess your car is parked up for long periods and you do short journeys.

Mine was stood in a cold workshop for 3 - 4 months n it did this not to worry mate

Hi All

I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of Renaultsport motors and have a question to ask. I've noticed fairly significant amounts of what looks like a white powder on the surface of the engine of my Clio 200. Apart from this the engine bay is basically spotless. From searching on the net, it seems that this is likely to be corrosion of the aluminium engine components. Has anyone else experienced a similar thing? Is it common? The car is only one year old!

Any help or advice will be gratefully received!

Thanks

In your case this is not a problem of oxidation, but simply a residue of the soap used by Renault to clean the engine parts before assembly.