Alternator Removal

suj

Paid Member
My car threw up "LOW BATTERY" on the way to supermarket, then when I headed back it died a few roads away, luckily I had jump leads and got some power to nurse it home. The battery is original from factory, so I tried charging it with my CTEK, it managed to recondition it, but I thought for £50 I'd throw a new one in

Charged it up (as it could have sat on a shelf for ages) and it was 12.76v, but soon as you start the car it drops to 12.00-12.10v and "LOW BATTERY" comes on quite quickly.

I did read about a new regulator "F 00M 144 131" and there is one being sold by KMS in Brum town centre.

I had a quick look and I think I might be able to get the cover and regulator off in situ from engine bay (he says...probably can't when it comes to it).

Before I try, for anyone who has taken it off before, what was the easiest method to remove the whole alternator (or if they have successfully taken off regulator in situ)?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely doable replacing the regulator in position.
I got one from autodoc (https://m.autodoc.co.uk/as-pl/10666465) but it only half fixed the issue.
Whilst the battery does now charge, it’s not regulating high enough, as I still get the low battery fault.

It is charging at 14-14.3v according to my scanner though.

Reactions: suj
Front bumper off jobbie

View attachment 144109

Thought it might have been that!
Luckily I don't need car urgently, but I better get looking at getting bumper off and it off!

Definitely doable replacing the regulator in position.
I got one from autodoc (https://m.autodoc.co.uk/as-pl/10666465) but it only half fixed the issue.
Whilst the battery does now charge, it’s not regulating high enough, as I still get the low battery fault.

It is charging at 14-14.3v according to my scanner though.

Thanks Nath, yeah I thought I could get to it from top.
Ahh, so I might as well get it off and see if someone can just refurbish it then, might be easier.

Also I did check the big red fuse on battery, all intact.

there isn’t really a great deal to refurbish on them.
the only serviceable parts are the stator bearings and the regulator really.

Reactions: suj
there isn’t really a great deal to refurbish on them.
the only serviceable parts are the stator bearings and the regulator really.

Yeah i'll get it off and see how the bearings feel, see if there is a place that can change the regulator / brushes in them if I can't source any.
When it isn't snowing...or "feels like -11" as it said it's going to feel this week!!!