Air con compressor

PITA

Paid Member
Does anyone know if there are any special tools required to change the AC compressor?

Is it just a case of loosening off the tensioner for the auxiliary belt and physically changing it or do I need to lock anything in?

TIA

Nah just normal tools. Though you’ll need the system draining first.
Thank you! My air con guy fitted a new condenser this morning but that didn’t solve the problem (there was 3 holes in it so it was knackered). The next obvious part is the compressor. The system holds pressure properly and he has drained the refrigerant out so I can change it.

Reactions: RSRowe
Spanner or socket on it, to pivot / turn it anti-clockwise to loosen the tension to then take belt off.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSRowe
If it's not that old, it's fine.
But they have been known to fail and get tangled into the cambelt and bye-bye engine.

It’s less than a year old and genuine Renault so I’ll re-use it! Thanks again

Reactions: suj
@PITA , how did you go with all this? Did you end up getting it sorted. Getting a new condenser and compressor ordered today. Local aircon guy is happy to just drain and regas for me and I do the "hard" bits. :smile:

@PITA , how did you go with all this? Did you end up getting it sorted. Getting a new condenser and compressor ordered today. Local aircon guy is happy to just drain and regas for me and I do the "hard" bits. :smile:
It’s really easy mate.
Front bumper off, crash bar off, unbolt the hoses from the condenser and compressor, remove the condenser and replace.
0F19ADEB-7AE2-4438-B1B1-15DDA085A266.jpeg
3C99CBF1-27FD-4A86-A9D0-CB9B19FBA06D.jpeg
0C88BAA3-E42E-43FB-92A9-698319C5F236.jpeg
ring spanner on this and turn anti clockwise to loosen the tension on the belt. Remove the belt and then it’s just 3 bolts holding the compressor on.
AA849F20-C7A0-4188-A1AC-9739C5BCDD7B.jpeg

Remember to buy some PAG oil for the compressor and pop a bit on the o rings before you put the pipes back on top.

I bought this and needed PAG 46 which is available from Euro Car Parts.