ABS / Rear Discs

I've started to get a light squeaking from what sounds like the offside rear, followed by the ABS / ESP light coming on - which I suspect is an issue with the bearing. I've had a scoot around but still have a few questions:

1. Is there a cost efficient way of reading non-engine related fault codes? Would be just my luck to take the rear corner to bits only to find the ABS light is due to a front sensor :smile:
2. The discs look in pretty good nick, not sure if they are OEM or aftermarket though. if it is a bearing, I'm guessing it's new discs rather than get the old bearings out and press new ones in?
3. If it is new discs required, I'm looking at OEM, but have seen OEM offered in plain, grooved, and drilled variants. Can anyone confirm what the score is there? What was standard on the 197? Are the drilled or grooved any better for road use and the odd track day?
4. Any advantage in aftermarket pads over the Renault ones? They seem quite good...

Cheers

J

If the discs are in good condition just change the bearing. Nice and easy. I'm having the same problem so I'll be changing it on Saturday.

You would be better finding out what is wrong before you go mad changing bearings etc. with the 172 I bought aftermarket rear discs and what a waste of money cheap bearings in them they cost £60 and another £60 for good SNR bearings to fix them in the end and the abs rings were wrong so I had to swap the rings over and a bit of extra work as the genuine ones sat a little loose on the aftermarket discs. The genuine ones cost between £85 - £100 have the bearings fitting (SNR), abs rings which have the right amount of teeth some after market ones had the wrong number of teeth which was instant abs light. I think the genuine discs are £165 for a 197 you need to get the light on then read the code after that fix the problem but in the meantime strip down the rear brakes pads out clean and grease even check the handbrake cables the ends can go and stop them from moving freely you can check by moving the arm on the calliper yourself to make sure it travels fully back when handbrake is released the slide pins can stick as well as the pads lock in place and cant slide. In my view failed bearings don't squeak pads and slide pins can or the pads or discs are too thin and need changed. You can buy genuine brembo pads in brembo boxes for about half the price as the Renault ones and as for track days the rear discs don't matter that much.

Yiannis: Thanks, do you know what the specs are for the bearing?

Turkie: Re the fault code, are there any ways to read the ABS fault, or is it going to be a stealer-only job? I get nothing via the standard OBD diagnostics apps that I have here. Good shout on the Brembo pads.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not, but you can easily check by removing the wheel and the cap, there is a code written on the bearing. Its dimensions are 62mm outer and 30mm inner diameter respectively.