87Y or 91Y, that is the question?

Been using Goodyear Eagle F1's for a while now with no complaints, but my fronts are about scrubbed off so it's time for some new boots before the MOT...

The ones I've used in the past have always been asymmetric 3's with 87Y rating but I've always felt like the fronts looked a bit flat even when they weren't (soft sidewall?). Has anyone used the 91Y rating ones and seen any difference, good/bad oppinions etc?

I think I had Bridgestone's on a 91 on my Mk3, never seemed to have any problems with them.

All extra load tyres do is allow you to put extra pressure in to support extra weight. The "soft sidewall" thing so loved by the Internet is just "Internet". Let all the air out of your tyres and see how stiff they are. If you think they are under inflated just put more air in.

They're not under inflated they just "look" it, I run about 31psi on the fronts and was just making an observation. I don't much know about this "Internet loving soft sidewall" thing but I never recall conti's ever looking like this :think:

FYI, this was at 32psi...

DSC_0821.JPG

Last edited:
Are you sure the gauge is correct as they look to be running on the sidewalls. In cornering they will be on the sidewalls.

Are you sure the gauge is correct as they look to be running on the sidewalls. In cornering they will be on the sidewalls.

Yup and yup... I've always just put it down to the tyres, think it's more prominent cos the drive is on a slight slope so all weight is on that corner.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rishi Wheels and Tyres 1
S Wheels and Tyres 2