2006 Deep Black Track Shed BudgetBoltOnBuild

Much happier now. Part of the Brian James Trailer crew. Just need to work out where to sit the car, this was set up for the previous owners Caterham so the weight distribution is off. Fine up to 55mph then it feels a bit sketchy. Might need to remove or relocate the winch but I'm fine with that!IMG_20210816_195540.jpgIMG_20210816_195550.jpgIMG_20210816_195607.jpg

Reactions: Benno and Beany
Positioning looks pretty good. Check the rear tyre pressures on the 5 though.
I believe they’re around 38psi when you’re loaded up. Made a massive different to how mine felt.

Reactions: Helpimonfire
To be honest the balance on the trailer seems alright to be fair, might see what it does tomorrow night when I load up again and stick some weight in the back of the towpig. The 5 is empty right now so that probably didn't help much.

I'm really glad I spent the extra on a BJT though, it's so well made and it's mega light too, coming in at a measly 495kg and can carry 1.35t. I'll be seeing about a tyre rack soon too and a toolbox on the front if I can work out a decent position for it.

Reactions: RSRowe
Might be worth the investment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004W17D94/?tag=clio197-21

Tow bar / car will have a max nose weight, try to be spot on, more nose weight = more stable tow but don’t exceed the manufactures spec (just in case VOSA decide to pull you over)

We spent ages setting up the Clio on a 14ft PRG even to the point of having 4/5 wheels on the tyre rack and adding a wheel and fuel in the car to counter balance. If I was doing it again I’d go 16ft.

I’ll be having a snoop around the 530 tomorrow…been looking at the same thing with the same idea.

As above. Nose weight is the one.
I’m always dead cautious about putting too much on given I’ve a removable bar.

They do tow real good.

I’ve lowered the suspension down a little on the computer to try and get the arse end of the trailer out of the floor like in this pic :tearsofjoy:

6BE3B9EA-86DC-4BDF-BCB8-1554FFA5162D.jpeg

Today at Snetterton was a complete success. I can't think of any downers to be honest! Maybe one... We'll get to that...

We'll begin with tyres. I binned off the NS2Rs as I was driving beyond their limit realistically and after many days of adding tyres to my cart and then thinking twice, then doing the same again yadda yadda yadda, I finally settled on a set of MRF ZTRs in a medium compound supplied by @NickD at MOT Motorsport. He even fitted and balanced them for me this morning in the paddock. For the morning I ran my Kuhmo V70a and this was already a step up from the NS2Rs, with more grip and less drop off when they got hot. Although they felt a much better tyre I just couldn't dial them in with the pressures, however this isn't a bad thing as they've got loads of meat left so I can give them another go at a later date.

Plenty of track time this morning between the red flags, 1 for a Civic EG hatch that threw a rod through the block and dumped oil all over the shop, second being a 172/182 that expired in a cloud of smoke midway through Coram. Once those were dealt with I go on with the arduous task of putting as many laps in as possible and as expected, the car ran hard all morning and never gave out!

Lunchtime rolled around and it was time to slap the MRFs on. My word what an upgrade again! The V70s were an easy 50% better than the NS2R and the MRFs are probably another 50% better than the V70s! I was able to take absolute liberties mid corner and they were predictable throughout, very grippy from the beginning and they didn't feel like the heat really affected them in any way, they just got to a level of stickiness and seemed to stay there. Again, had a few stops into the paddock to adjust pressures, I settled on 32psi hot which seemed to work well enough, I reckon I could get a bit more out of them still.

Around 4ish we went out for a final session, I went out with the intention of having a play with @Big Ben and seeing if I could keep up but we got swarmed with traffic and separated, I kept catching up through the slower sections but as soon as we got onto the faster parts, he was gone! It was at this point I finished off my DSUno pads in a big way, they're very gone now. Discs are also ruined BUT I can't really complain, they've had a hard 30k miles.

All in all, 220 track miles, a tank and a half of fuel and a huge grin all day long. Phenomenal day!

Now... Time to spend MORE money. Did I mention I bought a set of wheels with slicks on today too? It's been an expensive couple weeks!

I'm going Brembo HC discs again, I honestly don't see much point in going drilled/slotted/J/G hooked or whatever, these have been faultless the whole time. Pads wise I'm toying with going PBS ProRace front and ProTrack rear. Anyone had any experience with them? After running these DSUno I can't go back to my old DS2500. No way.

Yeah a couple people have said this. I'll find out soon, I've got a sprint day in September so I'll try them there, if they're shit I'll get some more DSUnos.

Reactions: RSRowe
I think I averaged 10mpg :tearsofjoy:

I was happy that the fuel cost at the track was much cheaper though, I think it was 1.45 a litre for 99? When I filled up the night before I paid 1.54 at my local Shell. Won't be doing that again!

Yeah that’s right. I spotted they did 102 aswell….£3.30 a litre the bloke said :worried:

95 litres I used…. 75 of which was on site.
Literally every trackday I’ve ever done, a fill up after dinner will generally do me the rest of the day and get me home:tearsofjoy:

Nice little tussle with @NickD in his little Mazda. Couldn't believe how fast this was and how unbelievably late he could brake (when he even bothered to brake anyway!). It took 3 laps to make up enough ground on him to get past and even then he almost came though my bootlid into turn 1 because I had to slow down and he didn't! :tearsofjoy: 51395448055_f5f80e05c0_o.jpg
51395077254_39cf83025f_o.jpg
Chasing this Focus down was good fun too. Only spent about a lap and a half behind him before I got through, was surprised that it was accelerating at a similar pace despite being down on power
51394556656_d639cd26c0_o.jpg51395359339_e44c0e0d4f_o.jpg

Considering I'm only running Cooksport springs and Cup shocks, I'm surprised at how little roll the car has.
51394943548_fa406c40b6_o.jpg
Coilovers over the winter I think, Yellowspeeds seem to be the front runner at the moment with the track springs, I'm waiting to see what the BC setup is like but I'm not a fan of their rear spring cups so I think it'll be the Yellowspeeds.

Nice little tussle with @NickD in his little Mazda. Couldn't believe how fast this was and how unbelievably late he could brake (when he even bothered to brake anyway!). It took 3 laps to make up enough ground on him to get past and even then he almost came though my bootlid into turn 1 because I had to slow down and he didn't! :tearsofjoy: View attachment 147172
I couldn't quite summon up the right size testicles to go flat through Richies though. :track:

What was the cause of the smoke in the end Nick? Also what car is it?
It was a blocked breather in the second fuel tank that ended up allowing petrol into the boot. There is a picture in the mid season review here.