2006 Deep Black Track Shed BudgetBoltOnBuild

New update.

Had a text from the missus saying the car had overheated and lost all coolant. I was away from home at the time so it was difficult to work out what was going on, I remembered an advisory from my usual mechanic from a few years ago that the lower radiator hose was rubbing on the fan cowling. So I did what anyone would and ordered a new hose at the cost of £89 for a genuine Renault part. RPD as usual got it to me in time for the weekend. In the meantime while the weather is fairly bad I tried to replicate the problem with no luck.

Overfilled the system and tried to force a leak. Nothing. Got a pressure tester from Amazon (handy as a part time BMW owner. They like leaking) and it's held a steady bar of pressure for 2 hours now. Took the car for a spirited drive and again, nothing. So now I'm scratching my head.IMG_20201010_140956.jpg

So back to the drawing board on that one.

Onto my recent purchases however...
IMG_20201010_141008.jpg
Set of NS2R in 225/45/17 flavour.
IMG_20201010_141045.jpg
Motul RBF660 fluid and some DS2500 pads, also bought some of Kam Racings own pins and anti rattle things. £12 a set means they're basically throwaway.
IMG_20201010_141107.jpg
Finally a set of HEL braided lines, the full set of 6.

I did pick up a power bleeder and a few other nice things too but I won't bore you with photos of those. Just need to wait until I can get the car on the ramps at work before doing all this lot, I'm not doing this on the floor of I can help it!

Reactions: Big Ben
Things went a bit stagnant with the lack of time to get on with jobs on the car. Then lockdown happened and all drive to get the car ready for a trackday ended up going out the window.

But then last night I was browsing with intent and this happened...

Screenshot_20201210_173822.jpg

Pictures tomorrow... :grin:

Reactions: Beany
So a test fit this morning of the new wheels after they were delivered yesterday. They'll divide opinion I'm sure but I'm firmly in love with them right now. They're the Rota Recce in Flat Black II, 17x8 ET42. Ordered from Driftworks and they came in at £540(ish) delivered. They're currently with the only tyre place I trust having the NS2Rs mounted. Pictures to follow later once I get this stud and nut conversion done too. :grin:

131084903_477963309854419_3551466420658734498_n.jpg

So my leak was still there and it seemed I never got to the bottom of it. With various trackdays booked it seemed a sensible option to sort that out while the weather has been decent today. I didn't start until about 1pm but by 1.30 we were this far.
IMG_20201219_145740.jpg

This isn't supposed to be here... When I had the belts done by Beaniesport he used a red coolant which made it a pain in the arse to find any leaks. Luckily at work I'd seem it leaking onto the ground outside the workshop.
IMG_20201219_145801.jpg

Things got out of hand quickly. All new lower radiator hoses, new thermostat (89 degrees apparently) and most importantly a new radiator and fan assembly. The old fan had lost all but 1 mount and was rubbing through the lower hose. I also found the mount had been bent and the lower hose was rubbing on the sump!IMG_20201219_162004.jpg

And now at 7pm we're at this stage. While the front was off I changed the oil and filter for a genuine Renault filter and the OEM Elf oil.IMG_20201219_190844.jpg

Ran it up to temp and bled the required points. Now on leak watch to see if there's anything else need replacing before I put the bumper on. To be fair though it takes 10 minutes now to remove the bumper and another 10 minutes to get the core support off so it's really not a big job.

We'll see how it goes. I've marked the new expansion tank with the coolant level while it's nice and hot, I'll let it cool off a bit then I'll check it in a bit.

Fingers crossed!

So. Update.

Got the car back together this morning and went to the aid of a fellow Clio owner whose 200 has sprung a leak from one of the upper hoses. It was a good excuse to give the car a really good run and get plenty of temperature into it. As I'd hoped, the leak has gone now. 55 miles of mixed driving and I don't think I lost any coolant at all. The level dropped a little but I think it's been working out any last air bubbles through the heater matrix.
One thing I did learn when I was changing parts yesterday is that the oil filter mount can spin. I think this is where I've ended up with a pressure build up as one of the hoses was kinked and wasn't letting any coolant through. Sorted this out and now I think we're sorted. I'm going to get as many miles onto the car as I can between now and Feb to get any issues found and fixed ready for Cadwell.

Next on the list is the Cooksport springs, DS2500 pads, RBF660 brake fluid and some HEL braided lines. But this can wait until I can get onto the ramp at work, I can't get the car high enough at home at the minute.

Reactions: Sean197
Another update.

Or lack thereof. I've had 4 trackdays cancelled now due to lockdown restrictions and it's meant my drive to get the car track ready has taken a hammering. As I was a bit of a knob and fitted semi slicks to the car last year, it's been a driveway ornament and only taken out as far as the supermarket so the battery doesn't die and the brakes are free. I'm hoping to get some time in the workshop this weekend or next so I'll swap back to my Eagle F1 shod wheels. Kneeling on damp concrete isn't my favourite thing...

• Haha
Reactions: Beany
Bummer on the trackdays mate. Looks like we’ll be in business soon though

Bummer on the trackdays mate. Looks like we’ll be in business soon though
Fingers crossed Ben! I was mega looking forward to Cadwell last weekend but obviously that got canned. I'm hoping the RSUK event at Curborough in April goes ahead still, that's always a good laugh. Snetterton and Bedford both got cancelled too so now my week off is going to be spent doing something useful, like tidying the garden or tackling the hedge out the front.

Gross.

• Sad
Reactions: Big Ben
I never got around to swapping the wheels out and to be fair I can live with running the semi slicks for a week, surprisingly grippy in the wet but standing water is scary as hell :tearsofjoy:

The idea was to replace the BMW with a Mégane 250/265 but I won't lie, the cars in my budget had the wrong spec and were ropey as hell. So I decided to give a blue oval a go.

Deposit paid on the cleanest Focus ST I could find. 2006 on an 06, 94k miles with full dealer service history, only a few stone chips on the front bumper and in ST3 spec so heated leather etc etc... We'll see what the fuss is all about I suppose!Screenshot_20210313-105548.jpgScreenshot_20210313-105602.jpg

I never got around to swapping the wheels out and to be fair I can live with running the semi slicks for a week, surprisingly grippy in the wet but standing water is scary as hell :tearsofjoy:

The idea was to replace the BMW with a Mégane 250/265 but I won't lie, the cars in my budget had the wrong spec and were ropey as hell. So I decided to give a blue oval a go.

Deposit paid on the cleanest Focus ST I could find. 2006 on an 06, 94k miles with full dealer service history, only a few stone chips on the front bumper and in ST3 spec so heated leather etc etc... We'll see what the fuss is all about I suppose!View attachment 144595View attachment 144596
Absolutely love the sound of a 5 pot, you won’t ever get bored of it!

Reactions: Helpimonfire
The noise they make is unbeatable. Handle pretty well too with some choice mods.

I miss hooning around in mine, though it did cause a lot of heartbreak over the years. I miss it a little

Just scrolled back on my Instagram...... 8 years ago this was taken. I feel old!

4F2A14FC-E8DC-458B-8AA3-878876AE7900.jpeg

Deposit paid on the cleanest Focus ST I could find. 2006 on an 06, 94k miles with full dealer service history, only a few stone chips on the front bumper and in ST3 spec so heated leather etc etc... We'll see what the fuss is all about I suppose!View attachment 144595View attachment 144596
Can admin kick him out please:ban:?

Gone to the dark side with a F**d. I can’t even say it out loud!

Absolutely love the sound of a 5 pot, you won’t ever get bored of it!

Hopefully! My old 6 pot BMW was good but it just lacked something. A turbo perhaps...

The noise they make is unbeatable. Handle pretty well too with some choice mods.

I miss hooning around in mine, though it did cause a lot of heartbreak over the years. I miss it a little

Just scrolled back on my Instagram...... 8 years ago this was taken. I feel old!

View attachment 144597

Looks good! I think mine will end up similarly modded (looks wise anyway). Set of coilovers and she'll be good to go.

Can admin kick him out please:ban:?

Gone to the dark side with a F**d. I can’t even say it out loud!

Oi! You've got no leg to stand on after the stunt you pulled on Facebook Benny boy! :ban:

• Haha
Reactions: Beany and Big Ben
Ive had 3 mk2 ST's and 2 mk2 RS's the 5 pot is very very addictive, the way they build speed is effortless I have a huge soft spot for them.

Get ready for drive shaft problems when going too low.
Oil filter housing blows, volvo part.
RS clutch and fly wheel if not done already or your not upping the power.

Anything you need to know gibe me a shout.

Reactions: Helpimonfire

View attachment 144597

Did this have the block sleeved? You then had a bmw 135i?