1st gear struggle from cold

jasonlovesfrench

Paid Member
My first gear is becoming a bitch to engage from a cold start, but once it's been running for 20 minutes it's fine.
I'm sure I've read that this is a common issue on some, anyone know if it's an easy fix please?

when did you change your oil?
any problems with other gears??

Last edited:
Gearbox oil change helped mine recently Jason. Used Tranself NFP
I've done that it made no difference buddy. I recal seeing a guy selling a red 197 on FB a few months back and he said he'd had the notorious 1st gear issue fixed but I didn't pay attention to what it was. :worried:

I've done that it made no difference buddy. I recal seeing a guy selling a red 197 on FB a few months back and he said he'd had the notorious 1st gear issue fixed but I didn't pay attention to what it was. :worried:

Standard Renault requirement to fix problem: replace parts with new :smile:

Seriously - unless its linkage / cables related (Unlikely if the problem gets better once warmed up) and different grade / makes of oil don't help, it does sound like it's likely to be the clunky bits of the gearbox itself that are the issue to me. And hence not gonna be a cheap, quick and easy fix...possibly.

@Northloopcup is your best man to possibly shed some light on this though......

Best of luck Jason.

Standard Renault requirement to fix problem: replace parts with new :smile:

Seriously - unless its linkage / cables related (Unlikely if the problem gets better once warmed up) and different grade / makes of oil don't help, it does sound like it's likely to be the clunky bits of the gearbox itself that are the issue to me. And hence not gonna be a cheap, quick and easy fix....possibly.

@Northloopcup is your best man to possibly shed some light on this though......

Best of luck Jason.
Cheers dude.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I do sometimes get a stubborn first gear from cold, Jason. It just refuses to go in - I usually cycle through other gears and this seems to loosen it up a bit. I know this isn't a 'fix', however I wanted to let you know that it's no uncommon! I do always let it all warm through for a minute or two, before moving off though - this seems to help.

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
I do sometimes get a stubborn first gear from cold, Jason. It just refuses to go in - I usually cycle through other gears and this seems to loosen it up a bit. I know this isn't a 'fix', however I wanted to let you know that it's no uncommon! I do always let it all warm through for a minute or two, before moving off though - this seems to help.
I have to force first gear every time I stop for the first 20 minutes, my work around is leave the clutch in and it's fine, as soon as I go fully neutral it happens. Maybe it's the clutch?

First thing to do is bleed the clutch as it could be the clutch isn't clearing properly. That would explain why it's fine if you keep the clutch down as the input shaft isn't spinning up and spinning any other gears up. Other than that it's an internal issue with the synchro ring I'd say mate.

Thankyou very much for your input buddy.

Reactions: Northloopcup
First thing to do is bleed the clutch as it could be the clutch isn't clearing properly. That would explain why it's fine if you keep the clutch down as the input shaft isn't spinning up and spinning any other gears up. Other than that it's an internal issue with the synchro ring I'd say mate.
Thanks dude, so if I bleed the clutch and it don't fix it I'll need a new box?

Reactions: Northloopcup
as above..mine does it too sometimes when cold..just go through 1st and 2nd gear and it will loosen up...