197 with sunroof. A question for those who have it.

first off apologies if this is in the wrong place, was unsure of what it fits under.

So whilst I was waiting for someone in my car I was fiddling with dials and noticed if you press the center of the sunroof control dial and twist the whole dial the sunroof doesn't move yet if you twist it without pressing the button (as normal) the sunroof responds.

Any idea what this feature is meant to actually do?

i havent got one but just had a read of the manual and it doesnt mention pushing the button in - only turning it :s

From what I've seen of the sunroof models it looks pretty well put together, even has a small pop-up wind breaker at the front to reduce turbulence.

Only person I know who has one doesn't visit here very often but I've not heard him complain about it!

No they don't leak and they are very solid and the wind breaker is a superb bug catcher :smile:
I know the manual doesn't mention about the button but it seems to cancel twisting the knob.
So you can twist it to another position and the sunroof doesn't move. Just seemed a pretty pointless thing and I guess it is then.

Leaking Sunroof.

I have only had 197 for a few months and apart from getting the rubber door seals replaced, the sunroof has given me the biggest headache.
Had it in four times to the stealers to find a bad water leak and eventually they replaced the whole sunroof (£1400+) under warranty.. well mostly but that's a long story.
Perhaps the sunroof was not a good option to have, living in central Scotland.
As for the sunroof button, I am not sure what it does. On my Grand Scenic the sunroof has the option to close the sunroof and windows from the key fob by pressing the lock button twice and holding it. The windows and sunroof will auto close. Get inside and push the button on the sunroof and it returns the sunroof to the position it was in before you auto closed it from outside.
Thought the Clio's would have done the same but it does not have this auto close function.
Hope this helps.

Wow that's a shame about your problems. I suppose there's so few 197's around with sunroof you don't really hear about them leaking.

Yeah that helped give me an idea to try and see if it does move it when pressed. I did think it was a way to move it into position so when you locked the car it would shut accordingly but that didn't work. It might just be a knob/dial from another Renault with a feature that requires that button and it's just defunct on the 197.

Even though I have had a few problems with my sunroof, I still like it on the car. Not sure if I would have spent the money on one if I was buying new but it was I big factor in me deciding to go for car I have now.
The dark Glass tint matches the rear and side window tint and on my White car I think this looks fantastic.

I have the sunroof on mine and that button doesn't do anything either. Also, no problems with my sunroof except it creaks in the middle of winter when it gets frozen up!

have the sunroof a well, great feature on a small car, makes the interior feel a class up at least, had two issues with leaks, both of them resolved by myself, both of them related to the drain pipe on the right front side, at first the drain pipe fell out of the steel drain in the sunroof recess, then about 6 months after I fixed it I found water in the footwell on the right side as well, after a long while of trying to spot the leak, suspected the AC, the drains below the windscreen, but eventually it turned to be the same drain pipe as before, it just went out of a little rubber piece that takes the water into the front right wheel arch, so it flushed it all inside on the floor instead, its located just behind the glove box on mine, but RHD cars may require a lot more work to get that fixed though... anyway, nice little feature it is, but next time I will go for the cup suspension instead of the sunroof,

I have the sunroof to. The button does have a function. Not a verry usefull one, but it does work.

When you press it and turn the knob it wil do nothing. But when you only press the button after that action, the roof will slide in the position you have turned the knob.

I never use it, but it does work. My sunroof doesn't leak.