197 rear brakes

I have an issue with a sticking rear calliper on a 197 f1. I can’t figure out why it sticks, it must be handbrake related. If I put the hand brake on and then off it sticks. I rock the calliper (slight play on it)and it frees up. I even removed the hand brake cable to make sure that wasn’t holding it on.

I’ve swapped the slider pins over from the other side and that hasn’t fixed it.

I’m thinking of just getting new rear callipers and be done with it. Are the rear callipers all the same from a standard 197 to the F1 and cup cars but just painted red?

Where’s the best place to buy new rear callipers?

Thanks

Yeah, all rear calipers are the same! I recently bought one from RPD. It was a refurbished unit (Not that you'd tell. It looks literally BRAND new)

This also works on a return/exchange basis so when you return your old one you get some money back.

Think it's £25 or so, but that brings the caliper down to £70 ish.. in red too

Comes with new bolts etc and is super easy to fit :smile:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phenom
Yeah, all rear calipers are the same! I recently bought one from RPD. It was a refurbished unit (Not that you'd tell. It looks literally BRAND new)

This also works on a return/exchange basis so when you return your old one you get some money back.

Think it's £25 or so, but that brings the caliper down to £70 ish.. in red too

Comes with new bolts etc and is super easy to fit :smile:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I can vouch for the refurb units from RPD as well. great quality and price, especially when you get the £25 back when you send the other caliper back.
although slightly annoying that one of my calipers is obviously newer than the rest .

I have an issue with a sticking rear calliper on a 197 f1. I can’t figure out why it sticks, it must be handbrake related. If I put the hand brake on and then off it sticks. I rock the calliper (slight play on it)and it frees up. I even removed the hand brake cable to make sure that wasn’t holding it on.

Can I ask what the "symptoms" (lack of a better word) for your sticky caliper?

Reactions: lewishunter98
I can vouch for the refurb units from RPD as well. great quality and price, especially when you get the £25 back when you send the other caliper back.
although slightly annoying that one of my calipers is obviously newer than the rest .

Can I ask what the "symptoms" (lack of a better word) for your sticky caliper?

It’s failed the mot due to an imbalance of the rear brakes and the wheel is really stiff to turn when jacked up. I hadn’t noticed anything when driving the car.

The wheel spins freely until you press hard on the brakes or put the handbrake on. If you then pull the caliper around a bit by hand it frees off again till you press the brake. I’ve put the hand brake on and then removed the cable and it doesn’t free off so don’t think it’s a sticking cable. The cable was replaced on the last mot aswel.

Thanks guys I’ll order a set from RPD. Where can you get new rear caliper carriers from? Might aswel change it all while I’m doing it.

Not sure if RPD do them or not but worth an ask but you are looking for:
7701069141 - Rear left caliper carrier
7701069142 - Rear right caliper carrier

You can get unpainted ones for a tenner less but I found them here, might find them cheaper with a bit of searching

It’s failed the mot due to an imbalance of the rear brakes and the wheel is really stiff to turn when jacked up. I hadn’t noticed anything when driving the car.

The wheel spins freely until you press hard on the brakes or put the handbrake on. If you then pull the caliper around a bit by hand it frees off again till you press the brake. I’ve put the hand brake on and then removed the cable and it doesn’t free off so don’t think it’s a sticking cable. The cable was replaced on the last mot aswel.

sometimes if you wind the piston all the way back in and then pump it out via the pedal it resets and frees it off...

I’ve order some rear calipers from RPD now and the carriers from the link. Should be sorted when I get them.

I did wind the piston back in a couple of times but it didn’t fix anything. They are almost all the way in anyway as the pads and disc are not that old.

Thanks for the help

unhook the handbrake cables and slide them in and out to make sure they are free moving some people have changed calipers to find the cable was not allowing the arm to fully release the brake the little arm should go back to the stop the Megane's have springs fitted to help the arm return to the stop. It's normally corrosion under the boot and around the piston that affects the rear brakes a strip down clean up around the piston without new parts can be enough.

Similar Thread Suggestions