197 front coil spring

Car failed its MOT due to snapped front offside coil spring:thumbdown:

Getting a new one fitted at local dealers and just wondered if anyone knew the job / book time for fitting one of these? Was originally quoted close to £200 (3 hours labour)! Managed to barter them down a bit, but price is 2x as much as what it costs for a non-sport.

No ambition to do it myself having seen the how to guide on here as I still wouldn't know where to start ;/

Also, had trouble sourcing the part and had to go to main dealer in the end. Was told by local garage that you can only get them direct from Renault. Is that true?

Plus had the headache of trying to work out which one I needed - four different "colours" - assume for 197 non-cup and cup and 200 non-cup and cup? Dealer couldn't tell me which I needed using my reg to look it up on the system so had to have a look for a daub of paint on the spring itself (4 different colours relate to the four different types - green, orange, violet and one other).

Do I need to be worried about them setting it up correctly after - camber / geo etc?

All in all, bit of a nightmare to get it sorted - fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Yep my offside was also snapped for its mot they are diffrent colours and only avalible from dealers it cost me 200 spring it's self was around 100-110

Bitch of a job to do, don't think 3 hours labour is far off. Think you should probably change springs in pairs so get them to do both sides.

Bitch of a job to do, don't think 3 hours labour is far off. Think you should probably change springs in pairs so get them to do both sides.

I thought it, but was worried someone might say it would better to change both springs! :worried:

Going to struggle to afford it at minute what with everything else (insurance, tax, MOT, o/s/f coil spring + fitting, service, belts etc) :nope:

Daft question, but should they be ordered in pairs as well? Any risk in perhaps getting the n/s/f spring changed in a couple of weeks when my wallet recovers and would it be best to get the same place to do it?

Yep my offside was also snapped for its mot they are diffrent colours and only avalible from dealers it cost me 200 spring it's self was around 100-110

Same as what it is costing me, just over a £100 notes for front spring and couple of hundred to fit it. Maybe I should save myself a a few hundred quid and spend £8k px it for a clio 200? :biggrin:

Cheapest option is probably to get a set of Eibachs or H&R's rather than buying OE individually.

But then surely labour costs will be higher having to replace all 4 springs?

I had to replace my front n/s spring for MOT as well. I just stuck with an OE spring and got my mechanic to stick it in. I would recommend getting an alignment done after.

But then surely labour costs will be higher having to replace all 4 springs?

I had to replace my front n/s spring for MOT as well. I just stuck with an OE spring and got my mechanic to stick it in. I would recommend getting an alignment done after.

You could just fit the fronts and possibly do the rears later. At least then you have four new springs.

You could just fit the fronts and possibly do the rears later. At least then you have four new springs.

Well this is it. I toyed with the idea of buying H&R's when I discovered my spring need replaced. After weighing up the options I didn't want to compromise the cup setup so stock with a stock one.

I paid £200 for supply and fitted are you paying 300 all in !???

Cost me £102 for spring and £165 to fit it at local Renault dealer, so £267 all in......... Started off at nearer £200 for labour :s

I was a bit stuck as MOT runs out tomorrow and car is booked in for 5 year service / belts on Saturday. Needed to get it through MOT to get it to other garage.

Picked it up this afternoon, can't believe the difference or that I didn't notice how bad it actually was before ;/

Tempted to get other side done know as it feels really slack compared to new spring on drivers side.