197: Front brembo caliber repainting tips

Antti O

Gold Member
Hello!

I am planning to service and repaint my silver brembo front calibers. I need some help from you.
What would be best order to do these tasks:

1. I remove calibers from car, best to press brake pedal in the floor to avoid all brake fluid draining from lines and master cylinder?

2. Solvent wash with brush or tootbrush

3. Blasting with smashed glass (more gentle compared to sandblast.. mediumblast in uk?)

4. Removal of old pistons / seals / bleed screws

5. Painting with heat silver spray, new brembo decals + heat clearcoat.

6. Assembling with new gaskets

Is this good order or do you change something?

Brembo callipers have actual got an anodised coating I aqua blasted a used pair as an experiment before cleaning up the ones fitted to the car they came back very shinny and bright I wanted them more like the originals with a flat finish.
upload_2017-10-8_14-4-54.png
upload_2017-10-8_14-6-10.png
These were a pair I bought but traded in against Recaro seats basically the ones on my car were working well and looked fine I repainted the Brembo logos to sharpen them up (ebay search "4x 80MM BREMBO BRAKE CALIPER STENCIL STICKERS") and could not justify changing them.

The blasting guy showed me the anodised coating around the piston area which had slowed his progress the problem you will find that the outside Brembo face will be pitted due to corrosion and when I re-anodised them they looked very patchy because of the lack of a smooth surface which I still have to see if they can have another go or I will rub the surface smooth first. I am still unsure about how they will age so if I was you I would buy a new pair sell you old pair for the price of one of the new ones and let someone else paint them a funny colour and change the seals.

If you want a flawless finish I'd get them painted or powdercoated professionally. For the time, effort and money I wouldn't do mine myself again.

If you want a flawless finish I'd get them painted or powdercoated professionally. For the time, effort and money I wouldn't do mine myself again.

I dont know if they can powdercoat those in good silver and also lacquer? And brembo stickers?

I dont know if they can powdercoat those in good silver and also lacquer? And brembo stickers?
The standard decals are laser etched I think, but no reason why the decal couldn't be applied under lacquer if they were painted. Powder coating I'm not so sure

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Pair of new genuine silver calibers will be approx 409£ delivered.
Do you know if there is any difference between silver and red calibers, in terms of how those are painted or finished. Because what i remember from Gordini cup model red calibers were really easy to clean. Silver calibers are some kind of different for finish and my current calibers are absolut horror to clean. All dirt is so deep in that surface normal cleaning is impossible. Thats why i think red calibers instead of silver.

I have to think how i will do this. Pair of new will be so easy solution.. :shuv:

Last edited:
Does anyone know the paint code or exact paint colour description for Brembos and genuine rears on my 197

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk