197 Digital style aircon control vs Dials?

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
I'm looking to get a 197 (Coming from a 1.2 dynamique) in the next few days but wondering whether there are any major benefits/disadvantages with the two fan control styles short of just looks?:

'Digital' :

cqSd0eB.png

Dials:

RLzErzs.png

Currently have the dials in my 1.2 (without the AC button obviously) but had issues with the 4th setting just turning the fans off due to a faulty connection in the back. Is this also a common issue with the 197 dials and is it fixed with the digital style?

Cheers for any input.

The digital style is climate control, the more standard looking still has aircon. For me personally I don't think the climate control is anything special so wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in buying your new car.

So in terms of 'cooling performance' there really isnt any difference, just whether it will auto set the temp?

Another fairly unrelated question, but are parking sensors an option on the 197s? Seen two cars now with similar looking parking sensors on the back but cant find anything about it being an option from renault?

Yes climate control is meant to auto regulate the temp, I've never used it and just set it myself, I've done the same on all my cars.

I think parking sensors were an option but for such a small car seems a little daft and they really disrupt the looks of the back end.

P.S did you get that cap badge down the chip shop? :tongueout:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Ha old gravatar while I was in cadets, should really get it changed...

Looking at one atm which has the dials and parking sensors, wouldn't really be bothered with/without the sensors but the rest of the car looks decent and it's in the right colour as well...

edit: fixed the badge :wink:

The digital style is climate control, the more standard looking still has aircon. For me personally I don't think the climate control is anything special so wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in buying your new car.

The Climate control isn't anything special either IMO. I can vouch for that. However i do feel sorry for anyone that has even less adjustability out of theirs than these. I didnt realise mine was 'top spec' if i'm honest. All singing and all-dancing it is not however !

'Looks' better. And ends right there i suspect. Unless i've completely missed something.....

We have the crappy standard one on ours.

Works superbly and we can set it to a temperature we're happy with, be it toasty warm or cold as balls.

Honestly don't get the point of the digital one. Maybe OCD folks like to be able to have it set to a specific X° but yeah, ours does the job! The option one does look a little better granted but I definitely wouldn't let it affect your choice of car as Ben already said.

:smile:

Looks like the aircon controls are not having a say then.

Currently looking at two cars, one has the parking sensors which I agree don't look great:

etVbBc7.png

Or the alternative has in interesting interior:

9wdISN1.png

Needless to say that trim will need to get resprayed/plasti dipped...

Personally i'd be worrying over cambelt history, Recaros or not, service history, mileage, manifold condition, braking efficiency (Re: Front Brembo's can be finicky), suspension knocks, steering column noises and a whole host of other things before i focused on some tacky dash-trim or reversing sensors if i'm 100% honest buddy.

Those would be minor details to fret over.

If everything is in order on both cars - then perhaps these are then your deciding factors (?)

Good luck :smile:

Reactions: Deer_Dodger
Think you dont have to worry about the temps..the auto climate control does it for you I believe..

Although unrelated to the original question thought I might as well use this thread over starting a new one. Looking at another car and in its service history the last two entries both have replacement spark plugs. Car has done 117k miles, are the spark plug replacements something to worry about?

Already emailed the guy and waiting for a reply...

I'm looking to get a 197 (Coming from a 1.2 dynamique) in the next few days but wondering whether there are any major benefits/disadvantages with the two fan control styles short of just looks?:

'Digital' :

View attachment 111911

Dials:

View attachment 111912

Currently have the dials in my 1.2 (without the AC button obviously) but had issues with the 4th setting just turning the fans off due to a faulty connection in the back. Is this also a common issue with the 197 dials and is it fixed with the digital style?

Cheers for any input.

'Digital' :

View attachment 111911

Dials:

View attachment 111912

Cheers for any input.

Had both (on a 200) and I can tell you that the boggo air-con (rotary dials) is miles better for cooling but I live in the Middle East...

I wanted digital as I figured it looked better. Plus from what I read the old style controls were the only ones that suffered with resistor issues relating to the fan speed issue you are seeing.

But, as mentioned, there are a few things to consider for the whole car. Gearboxs synchros, Recaros (soooooo worth it), service history, general condition, etc. I paid £3k for my Albi blue 197, Recaros, Xenons, Climate control, Cup spoiler, lowered on Eibach springs, 109k on the clock, stack of paperwork. Needed the belts doing and bodywork isnt fantastic but very happy with it and I'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

Yes climate control is meant to auto regulate the temp, I've never used it and just set it myself, I've done the same on all my cars.

I think parking sensors were an option but for such a small car seems a little daft and they really disrupt the looks of the back end.

P.S did you get that cap badge down the chip shop? :tongueout:

Ben, this means you are using the auto :smile: the difference in a dial one is when you put the cold on, it will blow cold air out, whereas in the digital auto one, even if you set it at coldest being 15, if its colder than that outside or in the cabin it will actually blow warm air into the cabin, for the cabin to reach 15 :smile: even in a non auto mode as the auto sets fan speeds and distribution, the temperature is always automatically worked to reach the one you have manually chosen :smile:

Not a deciding factor when buying / searching for a decent used example, but surely a very handy thing, had it on both of the 197s and had no issues with.

I love mine to, the auto works amazingly and i think it looks better but as people say, find the right example first where everything else is in good working order.