106 GTI snobiness?

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Not wanting to start anything here, but why are 106 GTI's so much more expensive than Saxo VTS's?

There was a GTI for sale with 120k miles on, 51 plate, standard for £2k, equivalent VTS is about £700.....

What's occurring?

:headphone:

Saxo chav tarnish, I agree they are equally good cars to drive in terms of performance but the GTI's arent established boy racer taxis. I think it was the cheaper VTR which gave the saxo its reputation.

Not to mention the 106 is much better looking :wink:

Saxo chav tarnish, I agree they are equally good cars to drive in terms of performance but the GTI's arent established boy racer taxis. I think it was the cheaper VTR which gave the saxo its reputation.

Not to mention the 106 is much better looking :wink:

Ya that's what I thought. GTI is £200 a year cheaper insurance for me than a VTS and £20 cheaper than a VTR lol

It's always been that way, very strange. Same as the Rallye, that carries such a premium especially over the VTR.

GTI and VTS are identical mechanically.

Both are a step up from the VTR, which is a 1.6 8V ~90BHP compared to the other two which use the 1.6 16V ~120BHP lump.

Gti would handle and break better though?

if it were me i'd have the GTi.

looks nicer in my eyes.

Nope, they're literally identical below the bodywork. Everything is interchangeable from one to the other and most parts can be changed from Mk.1 to Mk.2 cars and vice versa. The GTi always had the nicer interior as leather was never optioned on the Saxo, so it may be slightly heavier but still well under 1000KG. The lightest 106 was the S1 Rallye at around 865KG.

They're very nice cars to drive and the engine is pretty easy to extract more power from too.

Never knew that, still like GTI's body.

Never really been a fan of the saxo but i seem to remember them trying to corner the market by offering free insurance.

Yeah the GTi is the more grown up model really, bit "posher". :smiley:

They had some cracking deals when new, the C2 VTS was the same. The VTR was quite a low insurance group too given it's performance and with it looking the same as the VTS it was quite a good starting block for somebody after a nippy car. The 8V engine was more torquey than the 16V too strangely, both lumps have their own merits. They're a good buy now as a trackcar, so many parts available and pretty cheap too. A genuine Peugeotsport exhaust is around £300 for example...

Everything is so easy to do on them as well! I remember on my 1.1 106 I changed the calipers to gti calipers discs and pads, and bled the whole system on my own in a couple hours!! Also fitted gti cloth interior. Totally transformed the car, shows how easy it is to upgrade 106/saxos!

Thinking of getting a VTR/GTI you see, I miss my Suki Saxo sooooooooooooo much :worried:

Only thing about GTI is tax - more than a 197 at £260, I believe, a year. Love the look of the standard GTI - just needs lowering, where as the Saxo needs lowering and a magnex exhaust :smile:

GTi always hold more value I think as there more desirable and there is less I was lucky to get 3k or mine tbh :smile: still the best hot hatch I've driven bar the clio of course I do miss my old tin can

Recently spotted some pikey leaving a UPS depot and getting into this bad boy........

saxo.jpg

:smiley:

saxo's came with free insurance so they sold by the metric ****tonne, making 106's rarer, and also helping the insurance statistics that less of them were smashed up. 106 interior is nicer, that's about the only difference you'll notice by going in one.

Ahahaha that saxo is from March, some fat lad used to drive it!

Sit in a gti and then a vts and tell me what one youd prefer to sit in. The saxos are nasty inside and out whereas the gti is gorgeous all the way round.